Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Before I Continue...

Ok so I came here today thinking I would tell you all why we've been so crazy busy, but then I have about a million other things swimming through my head today and I just can't concentrate on that right now.  What I am going to do is a mental dump so it's all out there and you can read it or not but it will hopefully make me feel better.

So let's start with a big question- should I start a different blog now that I'm married?  I feel like there's a fundamental life shift that happens when you get married (even if nothing else actually physically changes) and that it may warrant a new blog completely which means I may dump this one ... but I'll link it until the 3 of you who read this can change your bookmarks or links.  Even though I highly doubt the Husband will ever post anything at all I feel like the blog should include him.  Am I being weird?  It's almost like I need to shed all "singleness", if that makes sense.  Pondering.

Moving on, I'm starting a bucket list.  It's the tail end of marathon season (I guess) and I'm seeing everyone's pictures and posts on Facebook about their marathon adventures so I threw a little hissy fit and said to myself, "Dammit!  I'm going to run a marathon!!!" even though I completely hate running more than 5 miles.  So of course I called my mom and told her that I was going to run one next year and she laughed and said that it was on her bucket list so we should do it together.  BUCKET LIST?!  Perfect.  That's what I need, so I can reference it and actually have a way to track that I'm doing things that I actually want to do.  I am actually super excited about thinking up what I want to do and see in  my life.  Of course, I'm also excited about a marathon.  My friend Jenn just called and in the course of our conversation said she wanted to do a marathon (totally unprompted by me so this has to be destiny) next year so looks like I have 2 buddies!

Let's revisit the newly married thing again; it's insane to change your name.  There, I said it. Could they make it any more of a hassle?  There was never a question that I wouldn't change my name, but now that I'm in the middle of getting it all done it's a big fat suck fest.  I got like eleventy million copies of our marriage certificate so that I would "easily be able to change my name" (so says the clerk at the county office).  Let me tell you that the copies make no difference and that everywhere you go to change your names has a whole different set of hoops you have to jump through to prove you are who you are and you are a newlywed JUST. TRYING. TO. CHANGE. HER. NAME!  They act like I'm a criminal trying to steal someone's identity.  If only Heather F had more money than me, I'd be happy to take her identity.  Gah!  I cannot wait until it's over.  Apparently that takes like a year before everyone gets with the program (according to friends). 

Also, LET'S ALL FREAK OUT ABOUT HALLOWEEN!!!!!  You guys, I effing love Halloween through New Year's Day.  It's the best chunk of the year.  It's when all of the awesome happens.  I especially love Halloween, mostly because it's an excuse to dress up, but for many many more reasons. First, you get to dress up.  And I'm not talking about "It's an excuse to get a slutty costume" but more of a "who can I transform myself into" thing.  If I could legitimately dress in costume on a regular basis I would.  Let's also note that I don't do slutty costumes (in public or where anyone but the Husband will be) and it irks me to no end to see women showing their goods like I want to see them (I don't, mostly) in the namesake of Halloween.  If you are going to be slutty, be it and don't blame it on Halloween!  

Secondly, I love decorating.  LOVE IT!  I will find pretty much any excuse to decorate my house for an occasion.  I've always been drawn to darker and creepy decor so Halloween is the time when I let my creepy side take over.  I literally spend my whole year from January to September looking for darker odd objects to decorate with for Halloween.  I'm talking macabre trinkets like taxidermied creatures and old apothecary jars I can place around to creepy-looking antique photos I can replace my photos with. I the Husband would let me I would decorate my whole house in a slightly-Harry Potter- meets-haunted-house theme.  He pretty much finds it ridiculous that I could want more Halloween decorations than Christmas, but I'm getting close!

Yet another reason I love Halloween is the mood it puts me in to watch scary movies.  There is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a comfy blanket, a cup of hot chocolate or cider and getting scared of out of your  mind.  It's the best!  And the Pacific Northwest is awesomely foggy this time of year which adds to the scary factor.  

So those are the oh-so-important things banging around my brain today.  I'll be back tomorrow with some more life updates!

No comments: