Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm Adding One More Thing To Our To Do List... for the Love of Food

... and it's making our own yogurt.


So here's my issue.  I love yogurt and I love that it's pretty good for you, but when you really stop and read the labels  I found that the companies that make the yogurt are adding some not-so-great-for-you ingredients to something that should be pretty healthy.


BF and I have been sampling different varieties trying to find ones we love that don't have all of the added icky ingredients (high fructose corn syrup, Red Dye, etc).  We have found some good ones, but the ones we love had a ton of added sugar.  I don't feel as bad since it's ACTUAL organic cane sugar, but added sugar isn't that great for you either.  I've tried the plain, unsweetened varieties that sound good on paper, or rather sound good on the ingredient list, but they taste AWFUL!  Some are super sour I don't know how people eat them and the less sour ones taste a little off... almost like vomity, if that makes sense.  Anyway, I'm tired of trying to eat yogurt that I don't love... this whole thing has turned one of my favorite snacks into a snack I'm starting to avoid.  


Anyway, so BF is so cute and looked up how to make your own yogurt and it is shockingly simple and that way we can make a big batch of it and put it into little containers to take to work and add our own stuff (fruit, honey, granola) to so we know exactly what goes into it!


I'll definitely document the process to let you know how it turns out!



No comments: