Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Collection



I lose things often, and not because I am a disorganized person. Sometimes I loan things out and don't get them back, and sometimes my stuff just comes up missing out of nowhere, even though I swear up and down that I just saw whatever it was this morning or last night and now it's not where I put it. I also have a LOT of stuff. This could be part of my problem.




Anyhow, yesterday while looking for yet another "lost" item, I decided to check out the crawl-space, which is actually another room in my house that is only accessible through a small "Alice In Wonderland" type door in one of the bedrooms. I got down on all fours, swung open the door, groped along the inside wall to find the lightswitch, and crawled inside the room. As I looked up I realized how much "stuff" i actually had in that tiny little room. It was like crawling out of one world full of familiar and well-used things and into another filled with half-familar things that you forgot existed. The room itself is about 10'x9' or so, smaller than a bedroom but much larger than a closet, and was meant to be the storage space for my sister's and my extra random things. So far it's mostly my "extra" stuff in there that could probably furnish a small house, and I'm not even joking. I have cutting boards, colanders, baking sheets, end tables, lamps, blankets, a tea kettle, elegant dinnerwear (service for 8), silverwear, a cleaning bucket filled with brand new scrubbers and brushes of all sorts... not to mention 3 or 4 rubbermaid bins full of spring and summer clothing that I cannot wear until it gets warmer.




I admired my little collection of oddities (most of which I will use once I move, or once the seasons change) and decided that even though I lose things often, I eventually will get them back and they may find their way to a little waiting room like the crawl space only to be used again or lent out to someone who may have use for them. It's a bit like having your own little treasure room that you forget about until you need something or lose something.




I was also wondering how many other people had a stockpile of random things waiting to be used. Perhaps I am the only one...?




1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

This reminds me of a Dora the Explorer episode (one of our favs for morning time television) where she loses her bear and she has to travel to the Lost City to find it. On the way she finds that all of her friends have lost things too and want her to find them while she is there. The city is filled with random things and apparently the second you lose something, it magically appears at the Lost City. You have your own lost city. Just wait until you get married and have a big ol' house. I used to think I had a lot of crap, but then we kept moving into bigger places that needed to be filled and now I am overwhelmed with crap that I don't need...and yet I keep everything because I may need it someday.