Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Everybody Knows...

...it sucks to grow up, but I can honestly say that I'm not having a crisis about my birthday like I did last year. I feel more at peace with the big "2-4" for some odd reason. Who knows why. Maybe it's because I'm keeping myself occupied with new adventures, or maybe it's because I realize that my time lines don't matter so much anymore.

On a related note (food adventures)- vegetarian food is spicy... and I like it. It seems the more and more I'm diving into eating this way, the more I find that you need to keep it interesting and varied. I also like that a lot of ethnic foods are vegetarian so I don't have to think of replacements for part of my meal. New food adventure for the week: Quinoa (pronounced keen- wah). I've eaten it before and not thought much of it, but I realized how versatile it was this week when I made some plain and stored it for a quick filler in dinners. It's a great alternative to rice or cous cous in a dish, and is VERY healthy for you. I guess it's not a taste that pleases every palate (my sister absolutely hates it), but I tend to find that it takes on whatever flavors you pair it with, despite it's inherent nutty flavor. I've been putting an olive oil/balsamic vinegar and veggie (think cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic and some Italian herbs) mixture over it... a little greek-ish almost. Also, I was reading an article about it today and technically Quinoa is an herb. There's your fun fact for the day!

Ok, so back to birthday stuff. My 23rd year definitely wasn't my favorite so far... there were some ominous signs that I should heeded but instead I plowed on through, which is ok too. I learned some things I needed to learn. It wasn't all bad, though. I made some wonderful friends and got to experience some firsts (ie: Foo Fighters concert, Weezer concert, taking Ballet as an adult, traveling alone multiple times to strange places (Boise, etc), going to professional ballet performances that weren't The Nutcracker or Swan Lake, it goes on).

So here's to 24! May it be full of fun, love and laughter and hopefully no lessons will have to be repeated.

(Go ahead and say it, I'm getting old)

No comments: