Thursday, March 19, 2009

Beware the Produce Aisle!

As usual this morning I had the news on as I was getting dressed and doing my hair/make-up. I always have the news on so I know where the traffic spots are going to be and just generally what's happening in the world. This morning I heard and truly horrific story about a deadly spider found in a Whole Foods Market in Oklahoma.

I guess this HUGE Brazilian Wandering Spider was found wandering in the bananas. A store clerk caught it in a plastic deli container and they called the local university to see if someone could come and identify it. See below...

YUCK! If I saw this in my grocery store I would have a heart attack right there! Apparently the Brazilian Wandering Spider is poisonous an it's venom will kill you if left untreated IMMEDIATELY... (as in, you better get bitten at the hospital or else) which then reminded me of another story I heard a few weeks back about another produce loving spider.

Everyone loves Costco... heck, I'm the biggest supporter of it and go there a few times a week. BUT ever since I heard this story I steer clear of the grapes:

A lady bought a pack of red seedless grapes from Costco (the kind that comes in that huge plastic container with holes in it). When she got home she wanted to wash the grapes before putting them away, so she dumped the container of grapes into the sink to rinse them off. To her surprise this is what greeted her...
A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER! GOODNESS GRACIOUS! The lady luckily wasn't bitten, and was able to capture the spider in a jar and called someone from a vet clinic that referred her to an insect expert at the university in that city.

I don't know about you but I have a serious case of the heebie-jeebies and I don't even want to touch produce, nevertheless go near the produce aisles. I was already avoiding grapes, and now I must avoid bananas?! I know I don't have to avoid them, but I don't want to come across ANY spider.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

ew, ew, ew! That's all I can say

Heather said...

I know!!! And I seriously have been avoiding the fruit section of Costco ever since that lady with the grapes incident. Now I just feel unsafe in general. And I'm the BIGGEST wimp when it comes to big spiders... little ones I don't mind at all, though.