Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm Going to Try It...

(Photo Courtesy of VegSource.com)
My sister has bounced between being vegetarian, vegan, and none of the above a couple of times. It seems like it's hard work and requires some planning in order to not eat the same thing every day (out of convenience and lack of suitable food). After talking with her about it last night, I decided it would be interesting to try and, if nothing else, would be a healthy change. Starting last night was already out of the question since I had eaten a chicken sandwich for lunch; oh well.


It seems like breakfast will be cake since I eat oatmeal, a piece of fruit and caffeine free herbal tea most every morning without exception. Lunch will probably prove harder and more time consuming as I rarely pack my lunch since I tend to run a bit on the late side in the morning. Subway is my usual lunch fare, however it changes depending on the weather and upon whether I feel like driving to a close town that offers more than Subway, McDonald's or Jack in the Box (limited choices when you don't work downtown). More planning will have to be involved for a sucessful lunch. Dinner for me is usually something quick since I'm usually starving by then... I like salad with grilled chicken breast or I throw a thin steak or fish on the grill and steam some veggies. Looks like my first stop on the way home tonight will be the grocery store for some animal protein alternatives!


Some websites that are helpful in my new endeavor are:




1. www.vegsource.com

2. www.chooseveg.com


They've got some great ideas for how to have a balanced diet sans beef, chicken, pork, etc. I'll keep you all updated on how this vegetarian trial is going. Who knows, maybe I'll love it and stick to it... or maybe I'll just walk away adopting some healthier habits. Either way, I think it's worth the extra effort.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

Good luck. I've tried and it's freaking hard! When it comes to food I always obsess over what I can't have. I tried no desserts once and after I gave up I ate nothing but cookies for a whole day... yes, I have issues.

Heather said...

LOL, I am the same way with sweet things, but I don't feel as attached to meat. Yesterday was pretty easy and I stocked up on quick vegetarian meals at the store so if I run out of ideas I've got those for now.