Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Update on My New Obsession

I got a pack. A really nice, but smaller Gregory pack. I love it. And assorted little back packing tools. I've now narrowed down what I need to get next in order to sucessfully pack my way to adventure...


1. Lightweight tent... I've picked out two models I like.

2. A water filtration system... compact but effective. I think I want a pump filter AND the SteriPen. Steripens are awesome because they kill EVERYTHING in your water without chemicals, but I also don't want floaty things so I want an actual filter. I'm also a major germaphobe, so two methods of filtration and cleansing is better than one- to me, anyway.

3. Convertible Pants- because I realized how heavy a pack can get with multiple pairs of pants/etc inside. One pair that zips off into shorts is a-ok with me.

4. some s-biners and caribiners for clipping my essentials around me. Small, but significant.


The thing is, I now have to wait to get these things because they are spendy. I've shopped around at different outdoor sports stores to compare, but really most places are generally in the same price range.

I've also decided that pre-packaging my own food might be best. I've tasted a few of the freeze-dried offerings found at local stores and nothing really appeals to me. I think I can come up with better options with a little creativity. Plus I don't want freezedried meat in my meals, thank you very much.

Oh yeah, and I got to use some of my goods this past weekend. A few of us went down to Cape Lookout near Tillamook. Pictures to come. It was fun, but a little foggy and a little damp.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Freeze dried meat...not okay.

But honey I cannot let you get those zip off pants. I just can't. I mean, seriously they look so goofy as the full on pants and then when they're unzipped you still have the issue of half a zipper hanging off the bottom of your shorts. There must be a better way.

There must.

Heather said...

Oh Mary... I don't think you've seen the convertible pants as of late... they don't even look like those dorky models of old. You can't even tell where they zip off, and once they are off the seam is places slightly over the zipper so it doesn't hang down. I wouldn't put them on my "need" list if I hadn't fully researched them. I may be camping in the woods, but that's no excuse to look like a baglady... or a frumpy nature lady (not that all nature ladies are frumpy, but walking around town I've definitely seen my fair share).