Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want To... or Sleep If I Want To

I had forgotten about my own rule that my birthday is a weeklong celebration because I've been too busy to even think about it really.

This Friday I will turn 26.  I've gotten old.  How that happened I will never know, but it is what it is.  And it's not all bad.

Before I remembered it was my birthday week I was having kind of a crappy time because I feel so busy with stuff I don't really feel like I'm enjoying much in my day.  Then BF took me to a concert as an early birthday present.  We saw New Politics who were amazing, however they were on the same concert bill as two other bands that I have no interest in whatsoever. 

The show was at the Hawthorne Theater in SE, so Tuesday night we made our way down Hawthorne, found nearby parking in a cute little neighborhood and stood in the cool night air until they opened the doors.  The crowd that these bands drew was nothing akin to crowds BF and myself would fit into as we are not between the ages of 13-16 and we also aren't "stoners", at all.  The first group came to see the opening band, a high-school aged 311/Sublime-esque beachy rock type of band that made me want to plunge steak knives into my earholes.  I will not name this band because that would be embarrasing for them.  And Portland is not the best place to play "Southern Cal" jams... we aren't a bronzed, laid back, surf community so we don't get that "vibe".  We also don't get why you need to be shirtless on stage when it wasn't warm at all inside (we kept our jackets on the whole concert!). 

New Politics played second and it totally made up for the crappy first band.  It OBLITERATED the first band, really.  The lead singer had the best dance moves and even ran up the wall and did a flip.  Now that's entertainment.  They played quite a good set and then BF and I got to meet them!  BF bought me a shirt and we got our ticket stubs signed for the scrapbook.  It made my night.  It was also sort of funny because most people were there either for the first band or the headlining band (the Dirty Heads... ugh) and had no interest in NP.  They were extremely nice and talked to us for a few minutes and thanked us for coming to see them. I don't think they believed that we actually came to see them and not the Dirty Heads.  We got sweaty European hugs from them and then swiftly left because I did NOT want to stay and be part of the stoney mayhem that was sure to arise.  We were already starting to get a bit buzzed from the drifting smoke plumes surrounding us. 

After that excitement I realized that it was, in fact, my birthday week, and that I did need to allow myself to have a good time. 

Having said that to myself didn't really make it so as I've had to continue the wake up, work, work out, go to bed routine.  And I haven't been sleeping that well this week.

Rudy has decided that after 2 months of sleeping through the night he now wants us to wake up, take him out and play with him at 3 in the morning.  Last night was the 3rd night of it in a row so BF and I decided that tonight Rudy will sleep in the crate with a toy like he used to so he doesn't come bug us at 3am again.  Also, no water after 9pm because I'm not taking that dog out in the middle of the night anymore... even though BF usually does it, it still wakes me up.

Anyway, besides Rudy the rain and wind has been crazy at night (better at night than during the day).  Last night after Rudy woke us up the rain poured down and the wind beat the bushes against the walls and all I could hear was the deafening "drop drop drop" sounds of  the water hitting a huge puddle outside of our bedroom window. BF got up and selpt on the couch.  I took a Benadryl.  I don't think I got more than an hour and a half of uniterrupted sleep.

To top it off I worked out a little too hard yesterday evening and felt ill shortly after coming home from the gym- to the point where no position I sat in was comfortable and my WHOLE BODY hurt- not in an achy or muscley way if that makes sense, but just a hurt everywhere.  I drank a bunch of water thinking maybe I was dehydrated and got a snack but still I felt like poop.  I feel better today, just tired.

Speaking of poop, Rudy's been eating it.  I know, totally gross.  I did some research because I was thinking our dog was a little mentally ill if he was eating poop (we've always had dogs and they've NEVER done that before) but turns out a lot of dogs do it.  Apparently dogs don't have as refined tastebuds as we do and mostly they like things for the texture.  Also, poop has a lot of information in it for dogs about the animal it came from so it's almost like they are reading a note or journal entry from that animal.  Either way, it's GROSS so BF and I have been extra diligent when we take him out so that he doesn't sneak one.  I also bought him a doggy toothbrush and toothpaste.  It's peanut flavored so Rudy thinks it's a treat and I think he liked getting his little doggy mouth brushed because he didn't fuss at all once I got the bristles in his mouth- it probably felt good on his gums since he's teething. 

Tomorrow, being my actual day of birth, I've requested pancakes and sausage for breakfast.  I'm also leaving work early to go to Corvallis to celebrate our friend Brad's birthday as well and eat at Block 15- our most favorite place to eat, EVER.  I'm totally eating my weight in fries.  And then gelato.

Saturday I'm sleeping in and then getting my nails did with my mommy.  I also want to go to OMSI to see the new Egypt exhibit (I don't remember the name of it) because it looks awesome.  Then it's pizza time so I can get some good carbs in me before the Shamrock Run on Sunday morning.

No comments: