Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Waiting Game... and Looking at Interior Decorating Sites Because I'm Old Now

So BF and I are waiting to hear back regarding the house.  We probably won't hear a thing until Monday or Tuesday which is KILLING ME.

If we do get the house, we have to get an inspection, finalize the loan stuff and then figure out how we are going to replace the carpets and repaint some of the awful/half done paint that is currently in some of the rooms.

In order to occupy myself while we wait I've been busy looking at interior design sites and magazines to see what it is I like and how I want to redo our possible new home.  I know what I like, but I also want our home to feel cohesive and not broken up into themed rooms, if that makes sense?  Anyway, I'm just busily collecting pictures and paint samples and deciding what appliances would be necessary to replace.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1.  Floors-  the carpets NEED to be replaced.  The house was a rental before it was put on the market and I'm pretty sure that they didn't clean/replace them because they knew they didn't need to impress anyone.  I am debating on replacing the carpet or all out getting totally new floors... maybe wood or laminate wood or something. 

2.  Appliances- so the appliances in the home aren't terrible, but if it's going to be my home I want to update them with newer and more energy efficient ones.  I'd like a french door refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom, an awesome dishwasher because I HATE doing the dishes, a more efficient water heater, and a better looking microwave.  BF wants a new range as well, so there's one more.  Again, I want them all to match so for the first time EVER I've been looking at Lowe's and Home Depot and Sears and Best Buy trying to find a good collection that I like.  We also need to purchase a washer and dryer, but clearly they don't need to match the kitchen appliances so whatever we pick should be good.

3.  Paint colors- I am SO TORN with paint.  Some of the paint in the house I do like, but it needs to be touched up so I will have to find the matching paint to do so.  Some of the rooms are just... gross.  Who knows why people pick the colors they do.  And some of the home just needs paint in general because it's worn completely off (like on the banister going upstairs).   I'm wondering if I just wait to touch up the paint that I like and just go all out on the rooms and areas that really need it.  Also, BF and I need to decide on colors and themes for the main rooms.  The outside paint is ok, the house just needs a good spray down like any house does occasionally.

There's more on my list, but I'm trying not to invest TOO much time on the house until we know we've got it... but plan just enough so I'm not scrambling to figure out what we want if (when) we do get it.

Waiting takes forever.

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Yuck, the waiting game sucks, but the end reward will hopefully be worth it! Owning your own home is awesome, but it can be totally exhausting. I was so happy to be able to paint in our home, but by the time I was done I was SO painted out that I didn't want to paint ever again...until 5 seconds later when I realized that I hated every color that I had chosen. My front room has been painted 3 different times and I'm finally pretty happy with the end result. Good luck with whatever you do ;-)