Friday, December 16, 2011

We're Getting Married, It's Almost Christmas, We Are House Hunting but None of that Stresses Me Out Like Finding a Gift for BF's Mom

I'm totally serious, you guys.

I am in the midst of wedding planning, holiday decorating and baking, house hunting and figuring out home loan options, renewing our storage space lease since we know we won't be moving before January, coordinating facy dinners and meetings for work, getting my new boss organized, getting the dogs groomed and the little one trained, looking at interior design ideas for our new house when we get it,  shopping for appliances that we will need for any new house we get since we don't own any appliances, wrapping presents (because I'm SO not the last minute person) and the only thing keeping me up at night is the fact that I have NO IDEA what to get BF's mom for Christmas.  NO CLUE.  Not even a tiny glimmer of an idea.

Why?  Because she's the hardest person IN THE WORLD to shop for.  I'm not even making this up.  You should ask BF.  This is the only thing I've been focusing on all week.  I'm done with all of my other christmas shopping.  Every time I have to run an errand or go to the store for anything I think to myself, "Maybe I will find the perfect gift for BF's Mom here!" and then end up leaving the shop disappointed and frustrated.  I asked BF for ideas and he couldn't come up with anything either (for some of the reasons I'll list in a minute).

I sat down and wrote a list of things that she likes to help me think of something.  Here's what that list looked like:

BF's Mom- Ideas on things she likes:

1.  Reading- but mostly she gets books at the library and doesn't really buy them unless she finds a super good deal at Barnes and Noble, like when they do their summer clearance sale and you can get books for $1 or $2.  But didn't we get her a giftcard for books last year?  Did she spend it?  I can't get her the same gift card again.

2.  Gardening- maybe books on gardening?  She's got a shelf full, and she has been doing it forever so doesn't need another book on it.  Maybe gloves?  Got them.  Knee pads?  She's got fancy rolling knee pad thing for working in the yard already.  Beer for her slug traps?  Ugh.

3.  Crafty things, like scrapbooking- but those are sort of personal and she has a whole room with her scrapbooking and craft stuff so what else could I get her?

4.  Walking- she likes to take walks, but she just got new walking shoes this past fall.  What else do you need for walking?

5.  Tea- she likes tea.  I'm not even sure what kind.  But I've seen her make it and drink it!  Out of a tea kettle she already owns... and tea cups she already has... dang...


... and on and on. 

So what are some of the hit gifts you've given your other's mother? 

2 comments:

melissa said...

I am lousy, lousy, lousy at this, too! My MIL has everything she wants, and if she doesn't have it, she can get it. She likes wine, so we did a wine of the month thing where she gets two bottles a month a couple of years ago, and this past year it was a similar club for coffee. She pretends to like it at least?

I always feel like gifts that show you care and pay attention are best for people who everything they want/need. Maybe you could put together a basket with a bunch of small, thoughtful items. Like a bottle of beer - seriously - label it as for the slug traps and she'll probably smile. A few fancy teas of different varieties, a brochure for an area with nice walking trails, etc?

Heather said...

The basket idea is AWESOME and perfect; I definitely think I'll run out this afternoon and gather small gifts for it!

We tried asking again if she wanted anything specific and instead she started a conversation about house hunting and what we were finding. So frustrating!