Tuesday, September 25, 2012

3 Days. I Think I'm Allowed to Have at Least 1 Meltdown...

3 Days until the big day!  I'm insanely anxious because I don't really have anything to do and I had preemptively taken the entire week off of work just in case I had a million things left to do.  So I've been cleaning the house and packing/ re packing our bags for the weekend and finding the minutiae to do around the house.

We've been relatively drama free, no major Bridezilla moments... unless you ask my Mom.  For some reason my mom has it in her head that I am stressing out beyond belief about this wedding.  I did have a little freak out when I went to pick up my 2nd dress at the shop and they told me they already gave it to someone (if you showed up at a dress shop to pick up a wedding dress and it wasn't there, would you freak out a little?  Indeed) but it turns out they gave it to my mom when she was there picking up my sister's reordered bridesmaid dress.  I think I had a valid reason to get upset... and I didn't get upset at the lady at the shop, I just tried to get to the bottom of what had actually happened.  Note to bridal salons:  DON'T give the bride's dress to anyone but the BRIDE unless the BRIDE tells you that someone else will be picking it up.  That's what made me mad- I had no idea my mom picked it up and they didn't actually know she was my mom, they just saw she was picking up the bridesmaid dress for my sister and OFFERED to give her my gown as well. I think that is insane.

Anyway, what I've had a bigger freak out over is my sister.  I love my sister to death.  She has a tendency to be irresponsible and a total ass.  Case in point:  She told me that she would be the designated driver for my bachelorette party.  I thought that was pretty awesome and she even paid for a bunch of the bachelorette party favors and decorations and made cupcakes.  This seemed to show that she was being responsible and awesome, but then the night in question happens and my other friends tell me that they think she is way to drunk to drive so one of my other friends had to drive us home.  We made it safely and I didn't get mad at my sister because those things happen, but since that was something she volunteered to do I am a little miffed.

Secondly, my mother informs me last night that my sister won't be at the rehearsal dinner.  Let me say that again... My Sister.  Won't be at. The REHEARSAL DINNER.  WHAT?  BF and I have had our wedding and rehearsal dinner dates and time since JANUARY.  Everyone involved in our wedding has had at least 7 months notice as to when they needed to be available for the rehearsal dinner and for the actual wedding.  I even asked my sister last month if she had requested the days off for the dinner and for the wedding and she said yes.  Apparently she did not and has to work during the dinner.  I'm not worried about her not rehearsing because, let's face it, it's not that difficult to walk down an aisle and stand there.  What I am pissed about is that this is a bridesmaids duty to be at the rehearsal and the wedding ON TIME and to make things easier for the bride.  Am I totally wrong here?  Also, I want my family at the rehearsal dinner!  

My mom says I'm overreacting, but I think it's just plain rude to totally disregard your bridesmaid duties, especially when we gave everyone MONTHS of advanced notice.  My parents keep telling me not to stress about it, but I'm not stressed I'm just angry that again my sister can't be a responsible adult and manage her schedule properly.  

This whole thing boils down to the fact that I hate having to accommodate my sister ALL THE TIME.  It's been this way our whole lives.  She doesn't plan ahead and doesn't manage things very well and then expect people to accommodate her or to bail her out of her problems... which my family does for EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.   I want her to know that it is not ok to flake out on her responsibilities and that she needs to figure it out!  What do you guys think?  

My opinion is that I have a right to be upset about this; I'm not letting it ruin anything but I think my sister needs to know that she is letting me down and that it is not ok.


No comments: