Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Benefits of Mini Vacation

As I said I would, I took a few days off of work.  BF and I didn't really go anywhere or do much, but it was nice to have a few days to sleep in and not answer phone calls or emails.

We kicked off my mini vacation by seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II on Friday morning at 12:01am.  It. Was. Awesome.  They gave us 3D glasses shaped like Harry Potter's glasses to keep!  It was adorable.  I'm a little sad that it was the end to such a great series of movies, but I cannot wait to own it and watch it whenever I want!  Sort of like the books... sometimes I'll just pick one up and start reading all over again.

Anyway...

It was really hard the first day of no work (last Friday) to turn off my "work" self; I was buzzing around the house getting irritated that I wasn't getting everything done.  Then I sort of chilled out, got my house clean, didn't drink anything caffeinated and felt more relaxed- a clean house seems to have that effect. 

Friday night was softball as usual and then the weekend was pretty much a blur.  At one point we had a BBQ at our place with BF's parents and sister and my parents. It was a tight fit in our small place, but the food was excellent and the company was nice, too.

We also went to Corvallis to see a Corvallis Knights baseball game.  Our friend Sean is on the team and it happened to be his birthday so we watched the game, ate hotdogs, got gelato and then ate burgers afterwards to celebrate.   Because it was his birthday, we let Sean pick where to eat and he DID NOT pick Block 15 so BF and I were a little sad, but the food we did have was pretty good so really no complaints there.  We'll just have to go back to Block 15 another time.

Monday I had an eye appointment and found out that my prescription has stayed the same for 3 years now... that's pretty incredible!  No new glasses since mine are serving me well, but I may go back and pick out a pair to have as back up since my back up pair are getting a little beat up from travel. 

Yesterday BF and I saw a movie IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY with all of the old retired folks.  It's funny to see what type of people are seeing movies at noon on a Wednesday.  We saw "Horrible Bosses" and it was us and two other older couples in the theater.  I forgot they were there half the time and was laughing loudly- Charlie Day is one of my favorite people. 

Today was my first day back at work and I even got there early in anticipation of the pile of stuff waiting for me, but it wasn't that bad.  I got yelled at when I ran a quick errand by a crazy old European man in an Adidas soccer jersey for getting a plastic bag for my purchase.  I told him thank you for the unsolicited comment regarding my purchase and that I would be reusing the bag at home (which I frequently do when I RARELY get a plastic bag)* and that he could take a plastic bag and put it somewhere unmentionable.  I really do hate it when people think they know better than me and I know I was a bit rude, but I made the checkout lady laugh and I felt much better.  Reminder to all:  you may mean well, but sometimes you have NO IDEA what other people are doing so you should just stay out of it.  That's my PSA for the week.

Anyway, it's great having a super short work week (tomorrow's Friday!) and I'm already looking forward to the weekend again.

*For future reference, BF and I rarely get plastic bags at the grocery store preferring to use our reusable fabric bags instead.  When we do get a plastic bag, we keep it for future use or we return them to the recycling container at our local grocery store set up specifically to collect these bags. 

No comments: