Friday, July 8, 2011

More Like May, Really...

What in the world is happening?  Is it climate change?  Where has my summer gone?


So it's the second week of July and the weather here is more like end-of-May weather meaning mid seventies and partly cloudy.  We had a few good days of 80+ degrees and sun, but only a few and it's JULY.  If I didn't love Portland so much, I'd move.

Yes, it's July, which means I had a full weekend of Mom's birthday stuff and Independence Day celebrations, sans BF.  BF was in Oklahoma attending a family reunion with his parents and sister- one that I was invited to but didn't attend since there's no way I could get away with missing my mother's birthday... which, coincidentally is on the 4th of July.

Friday was nice because we got to sleep in, so sleep in we did.  When I finally did get up I think we went to the gym but I don't remember. Then we cleaned and ran errands and went to BF's softball game.  Saturday we got up sort of early since BF had to finish packing and get to the airport.  Once he left, I went back to bed!  Once I was ready to be up and active, I packed up the dog and headed to my parents' house.  We wandered down to the Saturday Market in Hillsboro where my dad has a booth selling hand carved wood items.  We hung out there and snacked on some awesomely sweet fresh local strawberries and my mother bought fruit, bee pollen and hand-dipped candies.  We mostly hung around on Saturday afternoon and played with Rudy- he had a blast.

Sunday I got up early and went to church with my mom since my dad was at another market and couldn't go with her.  It was a great service with a special guest musician who was amazing.  After that I took Rudy to my parent's and took my mom shopping for her birthday.  We headed to Woodburn and it was PACKED.  There was hardly a place to park in the overflow lots, and I should have realized it was going to be super busy since there were some crazy Independence Day weekend sales.  We didn't get anything super exciting- I stocked up on underwear and socks (WOOHOO!) and my mom bought some pajamas.  We are so wild!

Monday was the big day, so we hung out with my mom, ate an awesome grilled dinner and headed downtown to see the fireworks at the waterfront.  I love fireworks, but I hate it when the general public has access to them... there seemed to be so many accidents and fires that night!  I was nervous about how Rudy would do since he's never been around fireworks and we didn't get any puppy sedatives for him, but he did ok.

We left him at home as usual but I put his comfy bed in his kennel so he could hide in there if he got too scared and we shut the doors so he couldn't escape the yard if he got really freaked out- I know that sometimes pets run away during the 4th because they are so afraid of the commotion! When we got home he was nowhere to be found, I was calling and calling him and finally he crawled out from behind my parents couch!  I didn't think he could fit back there, but he did!  He wasn't shaking and seemed to have been asleep so I think he was ok.  He really likes small, dark, cozy areas (like under our bed which is only a few inches off the ground) so I'm not surprised that he found little spot at my parents house. 

Tuesday it was back to work, which isn't bad but really I should have taken a week of vacation instead.  But since I didn't I've been at the office all week trying to do my old job (until we get a replacement hired) AND my new job which is starting to stress me out a bit.  I left work yesterday with a terrible migraine which I can only attribute to stress because my neck and shoulders were SO TIGHT that by lunch time I didn't think I would make it home.  I've requested a week off starting at the end of next week after the Harry Potter premiere so that will help.

Anyway, BF came back from Oklahoma on Wednesday at 2am.  I was worried that he wouldn't make it back to Portland at all because they had a layover in Phoenix and there was a 70 mile wide dust storm there!  The airport shut down for a few hours to let the storm pass and the dust settle (literally) and then they were off. 

This weekend BF's softball team has a tournament to play and our friends Brad and Nicole are coming up from Corvallis- which means I need to rush home and clean up the extra bedroom!  It should be a fun weekend and I'm planning on lots of picture taking.

No comments: