Thursday, August 25, 2011

Excuse This "Type A Personality" Rant for a Moment

I'm sorry, but I've got to get it off my chest...


Dear Coworkers and Peers,

If you haven't noticed by now, I do not get paid your salary on top of mine which means that I do NOT do your job, even if you ask nicely.  Even if you don't know how to do it.  Even if your boss asks me (because they aren't my boss). I know that I do a lot of things and you may be confused to my actual role, but I'm not confused and neither are my managers and I can say no.  Oh wait, that's right, I can say no to the things you are asking me to do because I have my own job and my own schedule to keep.

You  may also think that some of my job duties are performed well by me and that it would be easy for me to do a similar thing for you. But again, not the case.  If something in your department/geography/group needs to be done it's your responsibility to do it.  I know I've coordinated similar events to the ones you are supposed to be doing and they were successful, but that doesn't mean that I am responsible for ALL events- only the ones in my department/geography/group. 

I try to anticipate what questions you may have and information you may need and neatly compile links, resources and How To's frequently for you to keep and reference so that when it's your turn to do something similar you don't have to start from scratch.  I do not have to do this, I'm doing it to be helpful so you don't spend hours researching something the way I had to.  I would appreciate it if you actually looked at and read those resources/links/How To's so you don't call or email me incessantly when you are trying to get your projects together and have "Urgent Questions".  Again, about 99% of the time your questions have already been answered in one of my communications that you forgot about or deleted. 

Another thing that I've not been appreciating is the idea you have about dictating my schedule.  A few times recently I have found notes or emails regarding trainings and conference calls that you've volunteered me to lead.  I have my own schedule to keep and you do not know it so the hour notice for a training you set up that I'm expected to execute is just plain rude.  If there is a need and you all feel that I am the one to lead the charge on a training, etc then how about partnering with me on it and we can collaborate to figure out trainings, times and calls the suite everyone's schedules. 

It all boils down to the following:

1.  I am not your mom.
2.  I cannot read minds.
3.  I don't get paid to do your job, you do.
4.  Work together and share.
5.  If you're not organized it's not my problem.  You're an adult.

Regards,

Heather

1 comment:

melissa said...

Oh, goodness, how I know that feeling. Hooray for being able to say no! I hope you have a relaxing weekend - sounds like you deserve it!