Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You Can't Always Get What You Want

... and I know that. I learned that lesson long ago when I was preoccupied with Barbies and tea parties. Who doesn't have a story about wanting a toy or a movie, etc and being told no and then thinking it was the END of the WORLD because you weren't going to get that ONE THING that you WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING... but a day or so later you didn't really miss not having it. More recently I learned that you sometimes get what you want, but then you realize you don't want it. Actually, I knew that too, but in a different context- like when you really want ice cream so you get some after dinner, take one bite and then realize you're so stuffed from a delicious dinner that you can't eat the ice cream.

Ok, so it's like that, but not really. And I'm not the only one learning this right now...

I guess the circumstances for things need to be right, and sometimes instant gratification would lead to ruin later. We can't see that all of the time. Foresight is never 20/20; sometimes it's legally blind. But we move on and we learn to live differently. We grow and forgive, we love and let go, we ponder and pray and know that it's always in God's hands, not our own.

3 comments:

Ashleigh said...

you know, I am slowly but surely trying to learn this concept. With Chad just starting out in his new job and us in this dinky old house that we're trying to fix up and having to scrimp and save in order to live, it's hard, but I know I wouldn't appreciate it if we didn't have to work for it.

Courtney B said...

love this blog post! you rock heather, and hopefully i'll see you tomorrow!!!

Heather said...

Thanks! Yeah, just give me a call when you are done! I'll be around. :)