Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Inside Jokes

... are not like inside voices.

The thing is, inside jokes are the best when you are "on the inside". And sometimes I am.

This past weekend I went to a Pow Wow on the Oregon Coast. It was a blast. I've got tons of great pictures of the dancers in full regalia and Grand Entry. Those will have to wait.


The best part of the weekend was the Pow Wow Comedy Jam.


..That's right. Native American stand-up comedians. (Bet you didn't think we made jokes. We do, just not in front of you...)


And the best part about it was they were chock full of inside jokes. Not only was I laughing until I cried, but I looked down the rows of folks attending this event and noticed that about half of them were hysterical with laughter (all of whom happened to be some semblance of native) and the other half had wide-eyed looks of confusion. Some people were good-natured enough to admit they had no clue what was going on and just sat there waiting for the next round of jokes. Others tried to play it off as if they, too, knew why everyone else was rolling in the aisles- but clearly they didn't.

I felt a little bad for those on the outside- finding themselves in mixed company and wondering what was ok to laugh at and trying to decipher what other jokes were even about.

I guess life is like that. Sometimes you are on the inside of the joke and sometimes you are on the outside wondering what to do. I'm glad that, at least this weekend, I was on the inside.


... I'll post Pow Wow pics later for your enjoyment.

** SEE POST BELOW FOR UPDATED PICTURES**

No comments: