Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My (Not So) Secret Crush

As I sit here trying to recover all of my music from iTunes... don't ask... I'm reminded of how much I rely on music in my daily life and how big a part of me is based upon music. I run and exercise to music and have tried to do both without the trusty iPod and usually give up a few minutes into it. I listen to music on the way to and from work. I listen to music at work. I listen to music when I get home from work and when I tan outside or clean the house or read a book. If I am introduced to you and I like you, I will make you a cd or two (or a collection) as a get-to-know me gesture and to see how well we mesh musically (because we cannot be friends if you have certain musical tendencies- I will not get into that now).

I am constantly amazed by certain musical artists that convey situations perfectly with their music and lyrics. I think it is a truly amazing gift if you can make other people feel what you feel through music.

If one were to meet me randomly and have a friendly conversation, I don't think one would get that music dweeb vibe at all. In fact, a lot of people that I meet tell me that once they get to know me better they are shocked at my wide range of musical appreciation and enthusiasm towards music in general.

Back to the real point.

I have a not-so secret crush on one (or many) musician(s). Not a shocker. I cycle through my likings... sometimes I'll come back to liking them, and sometimes I just move on because my tastes have refined as I get older (insert sarcastic comment here).



Sometimes I like the same one and never stop.



This is my longest standing one:That's right. Billy Corgan.


It doesn't make any logical sense. Have I ever been attracted in real life to a bald guy with a strange voice who has been known to wear costumes? Definitively no.

I do, however, have a long standing love affair with the Smashing Pumpkins because they made me excited about different music. And have you listened to the lyrics? Oh man. I know it's not for everyone and I don't judge too harshly for those of you who do not have any SP in their musical libraries, but I cannot get enough.

So as I monitor the progress of my recovery software I'm very thankful that I didn't lose it all forever, and especially grateful that I still have my complete library of Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan and Billy Corgan to get me through it.

No comments: