Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Alternative Toiletries Update

So I've successfully gotten through a little over two full weeks of not using shampoo or conditioner and you know what, I don't think I'll ever go back. 

There are a few things I've done to tweak my recipe, and I don't know if I've got it right just yet, but I love being able to be so flexible with my ingredients.  I've kept the cleansing recipe the same, but the sealer/conditioner is what I've been playing a bit with.  This week I added clove bud oil and cinnamon oil to my vinegar and water and my hair smells like spicy autumn.  It's awesome.  I've also cut down to using the solution about every other day and then in the inbetween days I just rinse my hair with some water if I need to. 

I also added a step to my face wash routine.  I found some rosewater and glycerin spray at New Seasons to use as a moisturizer.  The rainy week has dried my skin out a bit (weird, I know, but that's how my skin is) and I was hoping to find a good moisturizer that wasn't straight oil.  It's made from distilled water, roses, and vegetable glycerin (no animal products) and you just spritz it on your skin.  Plus, it smells like roses.

I also bought some sweet almond oil to start putting on after I shower because with the weather changing my skin is getting a little dry all over.  Almond oil smells wonderful as well. 

I'm still struggling with the deoderant thing.  I still have left over regular deoderant that I'm trying to use up, so I'm still alternating between regular and natural ones.  I think it'll be easier as the weather gets colder because I won't worry so much about the sweating... not that I sweat a lot, but you know, just self concious that way.  It's so hard for me to switch my thinking from "sweat= smelly" to "a little sweat doesn't necessarily mean smelly".

I've recently found a couple of good books at Powell's.  The first one is "Make Your Place", a little 'zine published by Microcosm Publishing about sustainable, affordable living.  It is full of recipes for cleaning your home and your self, first aid recipes, and how to compost and garden more effectively.  It was a great buy at $7 because it explains exactly how to do things, what is in what you are using, and why there are better alternatives than mass produced chemical concoctions. It even has an all natural pest control section to deter creepy crawlies from your living space naturally- LOVE IT! 

The other is "The Naturally Clean Home"  which has very detailed recipes and instructions for cleaning with ingredients like baking soda, castile soap, lemon oil, vinegar and borax just to name a few.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the info!

No comments: