Monday, November 15, 2010

Updates on the Oil Cleansing Method and my "No Poo" Hair Routine

So it's been a couple months since I switched from using face soap and shampoo/conditioner daily and in the while I've been doing it my body has adjusted and thusly I've adjusted what I'm using. 



Hair Cleansing:

While my actual baking soda and water cleansing solution has not changed, I've changed how frequently I need to do this.  I only do it every other day, and if I feel gross in between I rinse my hair in the shower with water.  I've also been using a light hair oil every few days on my ends because I blow dry and it keeps my hair shiny and I notice less split ends.  Right now I'm using Morrocan Hair Oil or a little Jojoba oil, but you can use any variety you are comfortable with.

I still rinse with my same vinegar/water/essential oils solution and I switch up what essential oils I add for fragrance every couple of weeks.  I'm very partial to the cinnamon and clove mixture since it smells spicy like Fall, however I like lavender and lemon together as well. 


Facial Cleansing, or Oil Cleansing Method:

At first I concocted a castor oil/olive oil/ tea tree oil combination for my face and it worked quite nicely for a few weeks.  I noticed that my skin was starting to get a tad dry after a few weeks and on a whim I used some of my straight Jojoba oil for my face... not adding any other oil at all.  I used it exactly the same way as the previous oil mixture; I just used a dime sized spot in my palm and massaged it over my face and then rested a hot damp washcloth on my face for a minute or so.  It worked really well and my skin doesn't get the dry patches any more.


I have the 4 ounce bottle and I've hardly used any of it.

For pimples I use a cotton swap and dab a very tiny bit of tea tree oil on the spot to help clear it up. 

When my skin feels oily or clogged (which isn't very often) I've been using a clay mask on my t-zone from MyChelle Dermaceuticals.  You can get it at New Seasons or whole foods but it is a bit spendy.


Deoderant:

I was using the last of my regular deoderant every few days until it was gone... which seemed to take forever.  Now I mostly just use my Tom's of Maine clear roll-on deoderant in the mornings after my shower.  When I know I'm going to be getting really sweaty and gross (like playing soccer or running) I will do a quick dusting of baking soda and cornstarch and that works really well also.

I've also noticed that now that I'm not using conventional deoderant with harsh chemicals in it that I need to use deoderant less and less.  BF hasn't noticed or complained of any BO smells (and neither has anyone else) so I think I'm doing ok. 



There are so many great reasons to make the switch from conventional shampoos, soaps and deoderants.  I love that I spend very little on hygiene items now... my only real expense these days for hygiene is my Tom's toothpaste and floss, but even then it's very little.  I've also noticed that my body responds very positively to what I am putting on it now... no cyclical symptoms and buying.

No comments: