Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Weezer, How I Love Thee... Again.

It hasn't been super publicized, but Weezer came out with a couple new albums recently.  Before I left on my work travels I picked them both up as I figured if they sucked it would be mildly entertaining and if they were good then I scored some good new music.


Well guess what. 


Weezer, you have won me back.  After your tragic "Raditude" release (I'm not saying it was complete garbage, but I can only listen to 2 songs on that album) I was a little hesitant to even give you another chance but I'm sure glad I did. 



Death to False Metal was quietly released earlier this year without much notice by anyone really.  I LOVE this one.  Ripe with catchy beats and humorus lyrics that evoke bands of the nineties I feel like this album was a fun tribute to some token groups that are no longer making music... or have evolved far off from where they started.  As always, there are a couple of off the wall tunes that I skip over, but the album as a whole is pretty enjoyable.

Hurley, recorded in part at the Hurley offices in Costa Mesa, CA but named after the Lost character, is as enjoyable, but not as fun in my opinion.  There are a couple of heavier songs that aren't outright sad, but aren't the normal style of melancholy nerd-rock I'm used to.  Still, it's a big step up from the aforementioned 2009 flop that is now on my cd rotation (yes, I still actually use my cds... odd isn't it?).

At any rate, I'm glad Weezer is back (somwhat) and this is enough to tide me over for a bit.



No comments: