Thursday, April 14, 2011

Up... As Well As a Million Other Directions

I love me some projects.  There is nothing better, to me, than thinking up things to do and creating every little part of it and then at the end going ,"Ta-Daa!  Look what I did!".

This is why I love my job.  Besides the normal officey things that I need to do, I get to create ENTIRE meetings and events for my team and department many times a year... from small 10 people meetings to huge, 250 attendee meetings in a different part of the country where we run around the city and see sporting events AND still get work done.  My awesome managers know that we have to have meetings at certain points in the year for certain things and so they tell me, "Hey, we have to have a meeting around such and such a date and so and so should attend; maybe we also want to incorporate something fun on that trip as well".  So I set my little brain to work and come up with where we are going to stay, where our meeting will be, what are we going to eat the whole time, what fun things we can do where we will be and the travel/transportation for it all.  In the end I love it when I get comments like, "That was the best meeting EVER... how are we going to top that?".

But work is not my only creative outlet.  I'm constantly coming up with life projects and home projects.  I think that this works out well for me because it keeps me moving forward in my life.  If I get stuck in one area, I know I have a project waiting to be tackled in another. 

Here are just a few of the projects I've got going on now:

WORK:
1. RTD Meeting next week
2.  Department offsite meeting next week
3.  HC Summit meeting the last week of April.
4.  DSD Summit meeting the second week of May.
5.  Bus Tour with business parters the 4th week of May.
6.  June District Meeting on the Oregon Coast.
7.  Realigning work goals, cadences and priorities for the next fiscal year.

HOME:
1.  Ridding our household of unnecessary clutter- clothes, shoes, purses, home goods that we don't need or use.
2.  Ridding our household of toxic products and replacing with greener, safer, more sustainable items- platics replaced with glass and safe metals, etc.
3.  Organizing some of our keepsake items- putting photos into albums and scrapbooks  so we can get them out of the millions of shoe boxes and folders they are currently living in.
4.  Composting- figuring it out in a small space.

SELF:
1. Ridding daily routine of toxic products- some I've already changed, some I'm still working on like lotion, make up, etc.
2.  Starting up a journal- we type so much these days that handwriting is becoming illegible!  Plus it'd be nice to have a volume of journals for my kids and grandkids to read.
3.  Eating more organically and locally.


Sometimes I have too many of these projects going on and I feel overwhelmed, but then I remember to take a step back and know that I am always learning, always progressing and always making my life better. 

Today I had to write it out because yesterday I was feeling overwhelmed with my life (even though it's not bad at all), but this morning I woke up and remembered why I have so much going on and that I really am getting it all done. 


Today was my day to say, "Ta- Daa!  Look what I did!  Look what I'm doing!  Look where I'll be soon!".

No comments: