Monday, April 25, 2011

Why BF Will Never Marry Me, I Think

It was a pretty typical weekend:  5K race, house warming party for friends, errands and grocery shopping, house cleaning and laundry, Easter meal with family and naps.  It was pretty fantastic. I shaved almost 4 minutes off of my 5K time, and I think last weekend's 8k helped with that.  It makes me want to keep racing!

During the course of the weekend we were entrapped into multiple conversations regarding nuptials between BF and myself.  I've mentioned this before but I think people assume that we will get married because we live together and bought a dog together (which I guess is almost like having a child together- or at least almost as expensive).  Not to say that it isn't the long term plan with us, because I'm pretty sure it is, but you know, it's not on our radar at this very second (mostly because our radar is filled up with finding BF a permanent classroom teaching job for next year and also getting our hiking/camping gear ready to go for the summer and also what we are going to eat each week).  Anyway, our good friend K&K got married a few weeks ago so it's on their minds and I'm of the school of thought that like begets like therefore our married friends want all of their friends to get married, too, if they aren't yet.  It's just what happens.  So our weekend conversations started with topics like "How was the honeymoon", "Your pictures were gorgeous", "Really nice weather we're having" and moved to "BF, when you are shopping for rings you should shop around but go to Kasab Jewelers because they have the best selections and also they have more options for the guys"...

...

Ok.  BF and I just sort of blinked and changed the subject, but inevitably the conversation would land back at, "when you guys get married..."


Grandparents don't always (EVER) censor themselves and so we ended up in a similar situation on Sunday for Easter dinner.  BF's grandfather, in the middle of a conversation about what the rest of the family was up to, looked at my hand and interrupted the conversation with this, "H, I don't see a RING on your finger.  What's going on there?"

 To which BF gave a nervous laugh and Grandma chimed in with, "When there's news I'm sure we'll hear about it, right?"

Awesome. 

BF is adorable and assured me that there wasn't really a hesitation with ME, just with timing right now, which I haven't questioned up to this point because I feel pretty secure in our relationship and I'm happy.  But then we were sitting on the couch watching a movie, hanging out with the dog last night when BF glanced over at my laptop screen.  I was ordering some lady supplies and started explaining A) that I was ordering feminine supplies B) why I was ordering them online C) that they were washable, reusable lady supplies (Luna Pads for when I don't want to use my Diva Cup) and D) why that was important to me.  I then launched into a short explanation of why it's frustrating to me that they don't carry entire lines of this stuff at the stores, only a few select varieties and that you cannot get them at just ANY store because most stores carry what's easy and not what's best.

I looked over to a blank stare. So THIS is why guys are hesitant to commit to this for a lifetime. 

But really, I know that BF loves me and I love him. 

BF- I promise to stop talking to you about feminine products.  I'm glad that you put up with me, and I'm glad you can handle all of the silly questions people ask you and the pressure they can sometimes make you feel.  Just know that I'm not worried and I love every single moment we spend together.

No comments: