Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Zombie-licious, and Indian Beach

My friend from work, R, had a birthday party and instead of having your average "everyone go out for food and drinks" birthday party she decided it needed to be a Zombie Bowling Birthday Party which was awesome.


I spent a few days last week tracking down stores that carried Halloween makeup and fake blood in the area (shock:  there are TONS of places that carry these things on the regular and not just for Halloween, who knew?).  Once I amassed my supplies I tested out the makeup on my arm for two reasons:


1.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't allergic to it.
2.  I wanted to see if I could make some realistic looking zombie skin and what not.



Saturday came and we took Rudy to the beach since it was so wonderfully beautifully Spring-y outside early in the day.













We got home in the early afternoon, took leisurely naps and then awoke to transform ourselves from this: 






to this:




Basically I bought some "gray" toned base make up in the costume section of the party supply store and covered our faces and necks in it so we didn't look so "alive".


Then I created bruised and decayed spots mixing and blending black, red, green, blue and yellow face paints.  You have to do it in layers or else it turns into a funny looking brown or gray spot on (learned that from testing on the arm).  I wanted our eyes to look a little dark and sunken in so I added a lot of shading and bruising there.

You cannot really see it in these pictures because of the flash, but I also added bluish-purple and greenish tinted vein marks on our faces and necks- sort of like dead bodies on TV have.

Next we smeared and sponged on blood to make it look like we were
A). injured and also
B). brain-hungry and chowing down on human flesh.

Here are some better views of handiwork:




 I'm laughing in the last one because I had posed really well and even made Zombie sound effects for the picture, but BF started laughing which made me laugh really hard as well.  Even Zombies have a sense of humor I guess.

I really hate zombie movies, but can I just say that I LOVED dressing up like one.  We got all sorts of funny stares and comments downtown.

R's birthday bash was at Grand Central Bowling, so we bowled a couple games, ate and drank and had a general good time before heading off to find a place to hang out for a while.  We ended up at Ringlers on Burnside. 

Before the party BF and I scared a couple of little kids without meaning to.  They were walking down the sidewalk with their mother and looked at us.  The mom had a good sense of humor about it and said, "Looks like they've had quite the day!".  While we were driving downtown I kept wanting to press my face against the window and stare at the passengers in other cars, but we didn't really hit much traffic so I didn't get much of a chance. 

Mostly people thought it was pretty funny, as did we.

Here's to more theme parties that involve out of the ordinary dressing up!

No comments: