Monday, April 21, 2008

Attack of the Fives...

5 Images I love and why:

1. I grew up mostly in Colorado and pictures of Pikes Peak always make me fee like I'm home.
2.I've always loved Marilyn Monroe, and this has always been one of my favorite pictures of her because she isn't suggestive or seductive- she's just naturally pretty here.


3. My mom bought me an art book before I could even read and there were paintings by Degas in it... and I wanted to take dance classes because of this one...


4.
When I first saw this statue at the Visitors Center in Salt Lake City, I cried. Time stopped and everything felt right and wonderful. I love going back there and watching people see it for the first time.


5. Aspen trees, in my opinion, are the most beautiful trees on earth. I love how they smell, and the brilliant variety of colors they turn in autumn. I think I could fill many albums with just pictures of aspen trees that I've taken. This one was not taken by me...


5 Years Ago I Was:

...Having the best time being a senior, gallivanting around with my friends doing senseless things for fun. I was finding out that I was more fun than I originally thought, and that graduation wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I was making the most of the time I had left because I knew soon everything would change.


5 Months Ago I Was:

... in a car accident and lucky that the only problems I had were a concussion and a broken nose. Got a newer car because of it though!


5 Hours Ago I Was:

... at work on a never-ending conference call craving popcorn. Woohoo!


5 Minutes Ago I Was:

... coming home from ballet and still wanting to eat popcorn.


5 Things on My "To Do" List:

1. do Winsor Pilates for Abs
2. call my insurance
3. take a bath
4. get my friend Stefanie's phone number
5. eat popcorn


5 Recent Pieces of Mail I've Received:

1. Wedding Invites
2. Victoria's Secret catalog
3. new checks
4. Costco Coupon book
5. Thank You card


5 Things I Would Do If I Became a Billionaire:

1. Pay off my parents' debt (and my student loans)
2. Buy my mom, my sister, Brian and myself Mini Coopers.
3. Buy land and build houses for each person in my family.
4. Travel
5. Go to school until I die



5 of My Bad Habits:

1. Biting my nails.
2. Picking at blemishes
3. Eating when I'm not hungry
4. Not putting my laundry away when I fold it
5. Not stretching before and after I run (and then I really pay for it).



5 Good Memories:

1. Eating spearmint leaves off the plant in my friend Heidi's backyard in kindergarten.
2. Going to "Paradise Cove" with the boys before I moved.
3. Driving all night to nowhere, listening to good music with a dear friend until sunrise just because we could.
4. Going through the temple for the first time last summer.
5. Being in a musical in first grade and singing a solo- I wore my black and pink polka-dot dress that I LOVED.



5 Places I've Lived:

1. Colorado - Monument and Divide.
2. Casper, Wyoming
3. Manassass, Virgina
4. Gainesville, Florida
5. Selmer, Tennessee
(and there are many more)



5 Songs I Love:

1. "33" by the Smashing Pumpkins
2. "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles
3. "Stand Inside Your Love" by the Smashing Pumpkins
4. "Goodbye Sky Harbor" by Jimmy Eat World
5. "Dandelions" by Five Iron Frenzy



5 Jobs I've Had:

1. Waitress/ Hostess at Shalimar
2. Bookseller at Barnes and Noble
3. Customer Service Supervisor at Old Navy
4. Administrative Assistant- Old Navy
5. Administrative Assistant- Nike



5 Books I Love:

1. The Alchemist
2. The Book of Mormon
3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
4. Eve and the Choice Made in Eden
5. The Chronicles of Narnia



5 Things That Are Out of Place Around My House:

1. My pile of shoes in the hall closet that should be in the "shoe bin"
2. A pile of growing junk mail on the floor in front of my book shelf- they should be in the shred pile.
3. A snorkel set that should be with the camping/summer stuff in the closet but is at the foot of my bed
4. The set of baking dishes in my closest- instead of with the rest of my kitchen items.
5. My Fluidity Bar in the garage where I'm NOT using it...


5 Things I Love to Eat

1. Greek Gods honey yogurt
2. Cinnabon
3. Jell-o with cool whip
4. baby green peas- steamed
5. my mom's homemade cornbread stuffing



5 People (who are not blood relations or in-laws) Who Have Had a Positive Impact on My Life:

1. Gordon B. Hinckley- the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that I first knew as my modern day prophet. Any time that I have had a hard time with something I knew I could find peace in his words and teachings. He is an excellent role model for people of all faiths. If I could have even a fraction of the gentleness and humbleness he did, I think things would go a lot smoother.

2. Mr. Dickson, my choir teacher in Colorado. Great wit and dry humor, and he always had a huge grin on his face. I sometimes wished he was my grandpa. He had a way of teaching people how to really hear things and I don't know how he did it. And somehow he made us all get along even though we were temperamental, hormonal teenagers who cared more about who liked who than music. He made us fall in love with music. Also, Mr. Douthit (sp?), my first grade (and fourth and fifth grade) music teacher who always encouraged me to try new things and have fun with music.

3. Brother Weed- whom I don't really know and have only heard speak a handful of times (even though he is now part of my bishopric). Everything I have ever heard him say has had some resounding impact on the way I think, feel, speak and act. I learn volumes just listening to him, and he only says a few sentences. I look forward to more of his talks and more of his stories.
4. Matt McKinley- a friend of mine who has taught me that if you aren't a little irrational, spontaneous and disorganized life is not worth living. He doesn't make a lot of money or have all the coolest things, or know all of the coolest people... and he pretty much just picks a place and goes there without much foresight, but he always has great stories to tell and knows people pretty much anyplace you can point out on a map.

5. The last one has to be a combination of folks- Mark Fisher, Dan Blaisdell, Jeff Ashby, and numerous others whom befriended me and showed me through their everyday actions what I was searching for. I could never show enough gratitude for how radically you've changed my life, all with the simplest words and gestures. You were my first testimony of living the gospel and being a missionary by example and I am thankful for that. Much of my happiness has come from the events that started with friendship.


I tag Mark, Mary and Ksenia.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

If I didn't know that you were native american I would swear that we were related! It almost freaky how much you look like my cousins that live in Casper. How long did you live there? I have sooo much family that live in Casper. Did you guys know any people by the last names of Hensley, Pitman, Rodriguez, Martinez, Bermea, or York? I also have a lot of family that live in Colorado. Mostly in the Fort Colins, Greely and Loveland area.

So much to comment on... I love that you love Greek honey yogurt. I feel like we are kindred spirits now. It's like heaven in a cup. I'm also in love with Cinnabons, so much that Greg proposed to me with one... I also have all of your bad habits, except #1 (that's Greg's).

I love all your posts. We have a lot in commen.

Heather said...

Haha! Yeah, we only lived there for a year... and I was in kindergarten so I don't remember a lot of people. I remember we lived on a hill... which were few and far between, and that I got to see the Donut Man at church.

We lived in the Colorado Springs area in Colorado, and then up by Pikes Peak. So more South and Southwest than Greeley, etc.

Also, I would rather eat that yogurt than almost anything sweet or even ice cream! It's so good. Lately I've been putting blackberries and raspberries with it. YUM!