Sunday, April 13, 2008

Best Day of 2008




April 10, 2008- Best day so far for this year. And here's why...

I got to meet Jim Adkins of Jimmy Eat World. When will something that cool ever happen again? Probably not for a while. I'm hoping some of his genius rubbed off on me. Never has anyone written lyrics as powerful as are contained in a Jimmy Eat World song. If you haven't listened to them, just go buy Clarity and Bleed American. Don't preview, just buy... it's that good.

I said before that I was really looking forward to the J.E.W. show for some time. I didn't know I was in for quite a huge treat! I got down to Salem super early so Rick and I could go shopping and eat before the show. First, I found a pair of jeans that fit GREAT and look great too. Then I bought some awesome huge sunglasses that Rick picked out for me. Then I ate Cinnabon while we stood in line waiting for the doors of the Salem Armoury to open- which is, by the way, one of my favorite foods. We met up with a few friends and once the doors were opened, we went inside and stood around for a bit, talking and whatnot. I was messing around with my phone, trying to pass the time since we were there pretty early when I noticed someone walking past us. Just as I looked up to see who it was and recognize them, Rick said in a somewhat hushed voice, "Hey, isn't that Jim from Jimmy Eat World?".

It was funny because I basically said the same thing to myself in my head as Rick said it out loud. I, of course, said, "Is it? IT IS!", and then we quietly debated on going to say hi. We couldn't pass up the opportunity so we walked up, asked if he wouldn't mind saying hi, etc. He was super nice and talked with us for a few moments. He even signed our tickets and let us get a picture with him! (see above)

The whole situation was a little funny because just two minutes before he walked by we had been talking about how the only thing that could make the day better was if we got to meet the band members. And voila! It happened.

It was also a bit funny because no else seemed to notice that JIM ADKINS was just walking around the auditorium... but this must have been because everyone else that came early were little 8-12 year old girls there to see Paramore and had no idea who Jimmy Eat World was. I felt old, but awesome. PS- all the little kids pretty much left after Paramore, partially because it was their bedtime, and partially because they don't know J.E.W. Sad for them.

I also noticed that any time Rick and I go to shows together, we end up meeting the band or someone in the band. I think this arrangement works out well and shall continue. I don't mind meeting musical greatness.

No comments: