Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chronic Laryngitis


You may have noticed, if you've known me for a while, that my voice has been a bit raspy and sometimes cracks a bit when I talk. It is usually not like this at all and I have just been chalking it up to allergies and seasonal colds. I didn't really think anything of it until lately when I've been trying to sing and I just can't hit any notes in my mid-range. My voice just stops, no noise comes out usually, or if it does it's a funny airy squeak. I thought I was still getting over a cold, or maybe just strained my voice somehow, so I've been resting it and drinking lots of hot herbal tea. All to no avail.

After months of not being able to speak normally or sing normally I called my doctor and spoke with the advice nurse. I described my symptoms (which are more numerous than what I listed above) and she said it sounded like I had a slight case of laryngitis and to rest my voice, drink some tea and have throat lozenges on hand. Hmm... sounds like what I've been doing. So like I normally do, I jumped on the computer and did some research (only on reputable medical and educational websites, of course). I found that one can have acute or chronic laryngitis, and that chronic laryngitis is sometimes linked to those with allergies and sinus problems (which I have). I read for HOURS last night and ran out, got a humidifier for my room, bought special "throat coat" herbal tea which tastes like dirt, organic local honey, homeopathic sinus and throat pills and MORE throat lozenges. I also made an appointment with my doctor so I have an actual professional opinion... very important.

Hopefully I will get my voice back to normal soon and be able to talk and sing like the old me. This whole thing has made me feel like someone else. If anyone has any remedies for allergies and/or laryngitis, let me know!

On a more positive note, I ran the humidifier all night and woke up breathing easy as if I'd never had allergies at all. Who knew?

No comments: