Wednesday, February 11, 2009

... And It Continues...

I took a Yoga class at the gym last night. It was enjoyable and I think I'll start going to a few of them a week. I was amazed at how much better I felt after... all stretched out and loose instead of crampy and sore with my shoulders up to my earlobes. I guess it's a good way to ensure I get a good stretch in here and there between my runs.

Speaking of running... I've started to develop shin splints. NOT FUN. I had them in middle school when I ran track. All of a sudden this week they hurt so bad it feels like my shins are going to explode out of my legs... and when I wake up in the morning my shins are so sore it's hard to walk and I kind of hobble around. Goodbye ankle sprain, hello shin splints. So I've got to dig out the old shoe inserts and make sure that I do more stretching and more strengthening exercises for my feet and ankles.

Like I've said before, I'm getting old. Well, I feel like I'm getting old. I feel great after I work out or run, and then I wake up in the morning 25 years older and stiffer and sorer. I'm hoping this wears off as my body gets used to my new "healthy" habits.

Ok, I'm done complaining for the day. Running is getting easier and easier despite the sore spots later. I actually spaced out while I was running through the neighborhood the other day and realized that I didn't remember running as far as I did. I think this will be a useful tool for longer distances. If I can keep my mind occupied things go quite well. When I start dwelling on my pace and how much further I've got to go, I get weary and grumpy with myself. This is why I'm in love with my iPod. If I start feeling tired I find a energizing fun song and blast it.

I've also started reading some running magazines. They are quite helpful with the tips. It seems like almost all of them have some sort of Half Marathon training and guide this month. Sweet. I never pictured myself reading those sorts of things. I'm more of a Martha Stewart reader...

No comments: