Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Owls, Hipsters and Toast


Those of you who have known me for a while know that I tend to collect some pretty random things. For instance, I collected anything with turtles on them and still do because when I was younger everyone just gave me turtle things... key chains, necklaces, earrings, etc. I just kind of turned it into a thing and started really liking them.
My mom, sister and I lived with my grandma for a while in New York when I was in first grade. Of course, being a grandma she decorated her house with things she has collected over the years and that means retro knick-knacks. She had a TON of owl things- pictures, statues, figurines, potholders, wall hangings, salt and pepper shakers. I really liked them and used to tell her that if she got tired of them, I would take them off of her hands (great 7 year old thinking, right?). It also helped that a lot of my favorite shows and movies featured owls (David and the Gnomes, Sword in the Stone, etc).

My owl obsession has stayed with me. Mostly it's been hard to find owl stuffs... until recently. I've been pretty psyched about the recent interest in retro owl doodads because it means I don't have to hunt so hard to find fun owl things, now I just have to sift through the tacky versus awesome stuff. I didn't think much of liking owls until last night.

I stopped at Powell's on my way home to buy a calendar since most other places only have High School Musical ones left or Sexy Firemen of 2009- none of which I want to post in my office. I found a National Geographic one that featured different species of owls for each month, so I was pretty stoked and grabbed it. It didn't really stand out as being an especially cool thing to buy since it was next to all the other National Geographic animal/bird/fish calendars (and there were about 20 different ones). So after finding a couple of other things I "needed" (wanted), I went to check out. I put my items on the counter and started digging in my purse for my wallet as the cashier was ringing it all up. The cashier then informed me that ,"Owls are the new Toast".

What? I just stood there for a second or two trying to wrap my mind around what he said, and what it meant. Again, WHAT? I handed him my debit card.

The cashier continued, "It's the new hipster thing to be into... you know? Like toast was a few years back... owls are the new toast."

I replied,"I didn't know that toast was something one could be into- it's a food, not an accessory. I think I missed that one".

Powell's guy said," Yeah, my friend and I were talking about it the other day. It's totally true. All these hip kids buying owl things now." He handed my debit card back and I entered my pin.

Me," Oh... Well, I'm not a hipster kid, I just lived with my grandma when i was little and her owl fancy rubbed off on me. I guess now that they are "in" it makes them easier to find which is fine with me. I can go home and eat toast whenever I want to, though." He handed me my bag and receipt.

On that note, I took my bag and walked, bewildered, to my car outside.

A.) When was toast a popular thing to be into? Who doesn't eat toast? WHAT??? How can a food item be "hip"? You eat it, it's good and it nourishes your body. Nothing "trendy" about that. Especially not simple TOAST.

B.) Did I ask you, Powell's guy, what your opinion about Owls happened to be or why you think owl things are easier to find? No.

C.) Do I look like some hipster kid that needs to be informed? No, I was wearing my business casual trouser jeans, a white t and a gray cable sweater with plain black mary-janes on my feet. Definitely not hipster. Definitely not looking for a lesson on hipster trends. I was not donning skinny jeans, furry boots, crazy layered shirts and sweaters with gelled sideswept hair that covers half of my face. Not even close.

D.) I must be getting old because that kid infuriated me and made me laugh really hard at the same time. Confusing.

Next time I'm going to pretend to not speak English.

No comments: