Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New Glasses, Optometry and Why I'm Sitting on a Fitness Ball in my Cube

This morning I had to go to the Optometrist for my yearly check up... meaning they got to numb my eyes and turn me into a half-vampire for a bit. It was sweet, as always.

I go to the Pacific University Eye Clinic because I'm brave enough to have students touch my eyeballs, etc. Seriously, if I were a more nervous person I probably wouldn't go there, but I trust them since they are finishing their 8th year of school to not permanently blind or injure me. Also, it is nice to know that you aren't going to have some condescending old fart of a doctor talk to you about eye health...

Anyhow, so it's always a different student doctor that sees me so I'm used to not seeing the same person each time, no big deal... but today when the guy came out to get me from the waiting room I was close to hysterical laughter. This guy looked almost EXACTLY like an ex-boyfriend of mine from years and years ago and to see someone looking like him in a lab-coat waiting to take a peek at my peepers was just too much for me.

I had to stifle giggles as he checked my prescription and ran tests... I could see his half-blurry face on the other side of the lenses with a look of intense focus as he recorded the settings. Of course I couldn't say anything because that would be... creepy. What was I going to do? Say,"Hey, Dr. Mitch, you look like a guy I dated in high school... you could be his freakin' twin... isn't that funny?" because it wouldn't be a bit funny to him at all. So I sat there and giggled every time he left the room.

After I was sufficiently numbed, dilated, etc they took pictures of my optic nerves with some new-fangled camera thingy so I was blinded as well. Then Dr. Mitch took me out to pick out a new pair of glasses since my prescription had changed ever so slightly. This isn't the usual protocol, but the eye-glass lady had to be at a seminar and so wouldn't be back until later so my student doc got to help. He was a little out of his league, and he admitted it, but it worked out well and I found a nice new pair of glasses (I think... we'll see next week when I pick them up and can inspect them with clear vision).

I carefully drove to work (SUPER carefully) and then remembered that I decided to get rid of my office chair and start sitting on an exercise ball because it's better for me (in theory so far). I kind of like it because instead of tappy my foot when I get bored, I now bounce on my ball which sort of makes me laugh. I probably look ridiculous. So be it.

I'm so glad it's a short week. Thanksgiving can't come fast enough. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be at home looking silly than at work. I'm also pretty glad I didn't say anything to Dr. Mitch about being Ex's twin.

No comments: