Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Roller Derby, and Yes I May Be Crazy

** this post is full of links, so click away, my friends! **

I may have mentioned that BF and I have gone to Roller Derby a couple of times and absolutely love it. I may have also mentioned (or you may just know this about me) that I LOVE brutal sports. I'm not a huge fan of basketball or football, but give me sports where people regularly get in fist fights and break their faces and I'm all in.

Anyway, so in the course of watching roller derby and talking about roller derby, I decided that maybe I should participate. I'm not huge, so I don't have that going for me, but I am pretty agile, though I don't know about my agility on skates yet. I looked into it and guess what?! They have tryouts every 3-6 months for the Rose City Rollers.

I also found out that you have to go through their training course first, which is fine by me. I'd rather get knocked around in private first and know I can handle it before everyone in Portland sees it.

During my discussions with BF on RD, we figured I needed a pretty rad name so we started brainstorming. I came up with a few, and then I found out that there is a registry of Roller Derby Names so I had to check my creations against it to ensure I wasn't stealing someone else's Roller ID.

I would tell you the names I've picked, but I cannot. I know. I feel terrible because they are so awesome I cannot even hold all of the awesome inside, but I also don't want someone else stealing my name before I can register it. So... you know. Gotta protect. If it were up to BF my name would probably be Sass Mouth, because, according to him (and he's known to be correct about things) I have a mouth full of sass. But that's pretty well known and not very itimidating to a gang full of 6 foot, 250 pound roller derby queens. (No, not all RD teams are made up of the aforementioned; it's only 1 or 2 girls a team that fit that description and they scare the living heck out of me. Face your fears).

Also, there's this whole Roller Girl sub culture that. ROCKS. MY. FACE it's so W.T. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Get some good skates. Duh.

2. Stock up on figure skating tights AND fishnet tights. Why? Because NO ONE looks good in fishnets, so you layer them over the skating tights. Also, if you get a rip, NBD. You're still covered.

3. You have to have a persona. You can't go out there as "Regular Heather". You have to pick your name and dress/act the part. That's part of the fun of roller derby.

4. Wrist guards and knee pads.


So the plan is to get some skates, figure out if I can actually skate, sign up for the training, kick some RD behind, and get on a team. And then I will reveal my RD Name.

Are you excited?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi to every single one. It’s truly a good for me to visit this web page, it includes helpful information.

Kind Regards,

James Amparan
explained here