Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Atrocities

No pictures of ridiculous birthday weekend.

Why?

Because I woke up on Saturday morning feeling like death, with a fever.

Let me back up and tell you about Friday night first. Friday night, BF took me to the Manchester Orchestra concert. Before we even got to the concert I was in a terrible mood because of the Friday Afternoon Rush. Never heard of it? It's when everyone at work decides on Friday afternoon to run to me and ask me for things/to do things as they are running out the door to enjoy their weekend. I have a weekend coming up, too, people. Needless to say I was in a bit of a mood by the time BF came to pick me up. Then I sensed he was in a mood as well (from the lack of carbs and fat and food because he is cutting- I'll talk more about that later). So then we got all crabby with each other and I was a royal ass which sometimes happens when I need a nap/food.


Anyway, so I ate a snack and we listened to good music on the way to the show and things were going much better by the time we got to the Hawthorne Theater. And then the warm up band played and I was in SHOCK and AWE. They are a little band from Scotland by the name of Biffy Clyro ( I know, it's totally weird) and they opened the show by coming out all skinny and tatooed and shirtless and playing a crazy hard-core song (which isn't really what the rest of their music sounds like) and I just about peed my pants. It was hilarious. And I really enjoyed their set- because it wasn't anything like their first song.


Then I started to notice that the crowd was a little bit... not my crowd. What I mean is that I didn't want to stand in the under 21 section because the high school kids were a bit too rowdy and smelly for me and the over 21 section was full of drunk DB's. Actually, in the over 21 crowd there were a few groups that just made the evening hard to enjoy.


Group 1: Middle Aged People Trying to Re-Live Their 20's. I'm not saying that middle aged people shouldn't go to rock concerts. I AM saying that middle aged people shouldn't try to act like they are 20 again. It's unbecoming. REALLY. On this particular night it was a group of 30-somethings (4 loud women and 1 idiot guy) that were so toasted and loud I couldn't even hear the loud rock music. It was bad. I'm pretty sure they didn't have a fun ride home from the looks of them at the end of the show. Either way, they made it very difficult to enjoy the music because of their girly slap fights and squealing loudly over everything.



Group 2: Angry Alcoholics. Two 20-something sleazy guys and one sluttastic girl. Before the show even started they were so trashed they had to stand around a pub table and hold on. Not a good sign. Mid-way through the show one guy got mad about something and threw his can of beer... which then sloshed against the back of my leg and soaked my jeans... It took every ounce of self control that I had to not pick up that can and throw it right back. Moments later the two guys started arguing loudly about who did what to who's girlfriend.



Group 3: Floppy Drunk Hipster Kids. Everyone knows a floppy drunk. They are the people that have a few drinks and lose control of their limbs. They fling their arms around and stumble back and forth and don't even realize it. It's like their limbs take on a life of their own, disconnected from their minds. There was a group of 2 couples, decked out in plaid shirts, black skinny jeans and greasy combed forward hair. One girl kept flinging her arms wildly as she spoke and stumbling backwards into myself and BF. After the 12th time I put my arms out to catch her and sort of held her gaze for a second. Her eyes lazily drifted from mine to BF's and then BF, being much more cool-headed than I said calmly,"Hey, why don't you take a couple steps forward and stop falling into us."

She started giggling a little and then got this horrified look on her face and sort of babbled out,"I haven't been falling into you... sorry... uh...".

To which BF replied, "Yeah, you've done it like 12 times.".

SILENCE. *Blink Blink*.

Then she sort of stumbled over to her scrawny hipster boyfriend a cried a little and pointed to us about how we were mean. I shot death glares to her and her hipster boyfriend- the kind that said, "You KNOW your girlfriend is too intoxicated to stand up in one spot without stumbling over herself so DON'T mess with me on this."


Anyhow, so there are the mini-groups that made the show almost unenjoyable.

And then we got in the car. And then we almost died because people in cars don't pay attention to other people in cars.

I turned to BF and said, "What is with today?"

BF," I don't know, but it is something about today."

Me, "Just take me HOME!"


Then I woke up Saturday with the Death Flu. At first I thought I had been hit by a train. I hurt everywhere and my head was pounding like something was a prisoner inside my skull trying to get out. Logically I thought I'd just eat a snack, take some Advil, go back to bed for another hour or so and then I'd be good as new. NOT the best idea. I ate a tiny bowl of cereal and 30 minutes later was lying on my bed trying not to move and deciding whether I should just take precautionary measures and sleep on the bathroom floor. At one point my stomach hurt so bad I got all delirious and didn't know if I was awake or asleep. I woke up 2 hours later not feeling much better so I had to cancel my Saturday night plans and tell BF to come be miserable with me, which he lovingly did. Then I took my temperature. 99.9 and then 100.1, and then back to 99.9.


BF was a total champ, though, and ran to the store with me to get movies to watch and Jell-o and Saltines to eat for dinner. And then we watched movies and I ate Jell-o and BF ate spicy Korean chicken that I made.

Exciting.

Sunday ended up being "catch up" day. I did laundry, cleaned up and didn't do much. I felt a ton better, but didn't do a lot of active tasks for fear of inviting the Death Flu back.

And this is why I don't have any exciting pictures or stories from my Birthday Weekend... which leads me to ask, "Can I extend my Birthday Week if I get sick and cannot participate in Birthday Activities?"... to which the obvious answer is "Yes."

Yes, I can and will be extending my birthday week since I was cheated out of festivities by the Death Flu.

Take that Death Flu.


In other news:

Some people are getting married. (Mary and Greg) YAY!

Some people are pregnant. (Michelle and Nelson) CONGRATS!

It's St. Patrick's Day this week and I have a St. Patrick's Day Tiara. No Joke. I'M AWESOME!

No comments: