Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Letter

Dear Perez Hilton/ Intolerant Folks,

Do not disguise your intolerance of other people's beliefs by asking questions you don't want the answers to and then exploiting the opinions of others and labeling them intolerant and/or ignorant. Two way street, here. You ask someone's opinion about something, you get it. You cannot discredit what they think... it is THEIR RIGHT to think how they want. I'm not saying everyone's opinions are correct (on the contrary), however you cannot shame someone because they gave you their opinion. It is theirs to give. And you have yours to give.

Furthermore, slandering and berating someone because their opinions differ from yours is just plain rude and in bad taste. Not that you (all) care about respecting others (but you are quick to throw a fit when you don't feel "respected").

I want to make it clear that I am neither defending/supporting Carrie Prejean nor am I agreeing with either party in the matter; I'm just simply stating that there are better ways to go about getting your voice heard regarding the topics you are passionate about. Guess what PH/Intolerant/Ignorant People- you may have voted for one Barack Obama and guess what his stance is on marriage? He sides with little Miss California. I haven't heard one single slanderous/mean spirited thing said about him regarding his opinion on the subject and he was quite open and honest about his stance during elections.

So before you jump on someone about how they feel and think remember, don't ask questions unless you are ready to hear the answer and don't persecute people for thinking differently than you do. We live in America and diversity is what makes this country so wonderful. I don't expect anyone else to think/feel/act/speak the way I do and I expect that much courtesy from everyone else. Live and let live.

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Amen to that! I have some very different opinions from my friends about certain issues, but if I am in a discussion about it with them, I state my opinion, let them state theirs, and agree to disagree.