Monday, May 4, 2009

Updates... and a Question

I thought it would be a good idea to update everyone all the changes I've made recently.

First, the eating. So it's been about a week since I decided that I was really going to stick with the whole vegetarian/whole grains/no processed sugar/limited dairy thing. It's really not that hard until I forget to tell people when they are making food for me. I went to McMenamin's with a friend and ordered the spicy tofu burrito. It was good, but I totally forgot to mention to the server to have them hold off on the sour cream- so I got my burrito with a HEAPING pile of sour cream. I scraped off as much as I could before I dug in. I was really surprised at myself because I LOVE sour cream (I could eat it just plain and have been known to do just that with blue corn chips) but I didn't really even miss it. The burrito was fine without it. I then went to dinner at a friend's house last night and forgot to mention the whole "no meat' thing and they made roast. I love roast... I "loved" roast. And since I forgot to mention that I wasn't eating meat to them before I went over for dinner I took the smallest portion of meat I could (seriously it was about the size of my index and middle finger put together) so as not to appear rude and then I filled up on salad and the excellent herbed and grilled green beans. Next time I will remember to warn people ahead of time.

NOTE: Don't worry, if you invite me over for a meal don't feel obligated to make a vegetarian meal... I think a lot of vegetarians feel this way. I can bring over my own alternatives because that's probably easier for all.

Anyway, so I've been finding it easier and easier to stay away from the junk food eating this way because I'm actually having to read labels and think ahead of time about what I'm going to eat for meals. I've had ONE soda this past week which is amazing because I used to drink a ton of diet soda daily (not so good). Other than that I'm finding some great alternatives to my usual snack foods and staples.

Second, training. So I did very little last week. I was a little ill for part of last week; the most I did was walk around the neighborhood, and even that caused me to take a two hour nap. I'm starting up again full force this week- got to my 5:30am class this morning and I'll be running probably every evening. We started a new Nike+ challenge at work and all of the districts are pitted against each other. We are a very competitive group so my coworkers motivate each other to log the miles (we can run or walk), and since Nike + tracks not only your miles but your time, everyone runs to beat each others times! Fun stuff. I think the upcoming races won't be an issues.

Third- bikini. Not there yet, of course, but I did dig my summer stuff out of the boxes in the garage. Pants are getting looser, shirts are hanging differently... that's a good sign! I tried on one of my one piece suits... looks good so at least I have a back up, but I don't want to use it.

Finally, I have a question. It's a bit late, but I'm still seeing all of the Rip City stuff around town, so here goes: What the heck does Rip City mean? I don't get it. I didn't grow up in Portland so I totally missed what's going on. Plus, we are from the Rose City... this has nothing to do with "Rip" anything. This probably shows how little I know about basketball and our home team, but many of you know that I'd much rather watch Lacrosse or Hockey (I kind of like knowing that a fight will break out at a moment's notice). Someone please tell me what the deal is!

No comments: