Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Recap...

BF graduated this weekend.


I am SO. HAPPY. He has worked so hard in school and has grown into a wonderful teacher this past year. Plus, he now has "more free time" so we can plan on doing more fun stuff... but really I know he'll replace homework and study time with job-hunting. I'm ok with that.


Friday- I don't remember what we did other than we went out with BF's school cohort for the final celebration. By final I really mean final official cohort gathering because now they aren't in a cohort together so it would just be a gathering of friends.

Saturday BF and I ran errands and went to Powell's... because we LOVE the Powell's. We kept it pretty low key because we knew that Sunday would be an early morning and a long day.

And Sunday was just that.


BF's commencement ceremony started at 10am, which meant that he had to be there at 9am, so I showed up at BF's family's house at 8:10am ready to go, but super sleepy. That also means that I had to wake up at 6:30am ON. A. SUNDAY. But then again, so did everyone else. We hopped in the family van and drove to Lewis & Clark, dropped BF off so he could get in line and we booked it to the closest Starbuck's. We returned at 9:30am to find our seats and thus began the longest amount of time I've sat in a seat in my life. The processional started at exactly 10am, which was nice, but I was quickly distracted when a little boy (between 3 and 5 years old) started puking EVERWHERE a few rows behind us.

I don't know if I've mentioned this but I have a huge puke problem. I have to get out of where ever it's happening quickly or else I get all panicky. Well, this was right in the middle of a commencement speech so I could just run out of the auditorium like I wanted to. I was itching to run for the doors and take a bath in hand sanitizer and bleach. Although none of the aforementioned body fluids were on me or close to me, they were in the same room as me, and that was enough.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the ceremony, except when BF was being hooded and was a handed his diploma. I was counting the people until the end when I could run to the cleanliness of fresh outdoor air. I felt bad because apparently the speakers were great, but I didn't hear a word they were saying and I was covering my mouth and nose with my scarf so as to filter out some of the airborne germs that were now floating through the room and threatening to infect us all.

Plus, I went over 5 hours without food. I ate breakfast at 7:15am Sunday morning and we didn't get out of the ceremony and to the refreshments until after noon. I was done. I thought I was going to die from the vomit-induced anxiety and lack of solid food.

But then there was CHEESE. I love cheese, and these Lewis & Clark folks know how to serve refreshments. They had a table full of a variety of cheese and I became my normal self after a few nibbles of gouda, swiss, cheddar and brie. And then I ate some cookies. And then the world was right again.

We headed back home and I took a lovely 2 hour nap instead of working out or doing laundry (like I should have because I ate cheese and cookies and I have no clean clothes to wear to work this week). I woke up, watched some cartoons on tv, and then went to dinner with BF and his family. BF chose Kell's Irish downtown, which I adore. I had the meatballs and mashed potatoes and BF had the Halibut fish and chips. Mmm...

After dinner, we waddled back to the car, drove home and cut into a Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato Cake from Staccato Gelato. It was heavenly. BF looked through his graduation gifts and decided that we HAD to go buy a Wii, and so we did. And we played Wii into the wee hours... I'm sorry, I just had to do that. But really, we did play until well past bedtime. And thus ended my weekend.


Today Minus the Bear is playing a free show in Sellwood. Lucky for us, BF works at a school 4 blocks from the venue and will be jumping in line ASAP after work to save us space. I'm excited.

No comments: