Friday, January 29, 2010

Dayquil Induced RIDICULOSITY

I stayed home sick from work on Wednesday.

Sounds great in theory. It wasn't.

It was one of those days where my head hurt so bad and I had the WORST body aches ever that there was really no way I was going to be comfortable. Every slight noise reverberated through my head like boulders dropped on kettle drums; every ray of light stung my eyes and sharpened the ache; every swallow or movement of my neck agitated the swollen glands and nodes in my throat, and every position imaginable in my super comfy bed was ultimately uncomfortable due to my aching joints.

I'm usually not going to take medication unless I have to take it, so I tried to stay hydrated and took a couple of Advil and hoped that I would sleep it away.

It took most of the day but I started feeling better by dinner time. I still had NO energy (I put some clothes in the dryer and almost passed out because it took so much effort) so I sat around and watched useless tv until I found a "Man vs. Wild" marathon that I couldn't resist (who could, that guy is awesome). And then I watched some foody shows on the Food Network. By 7pm I was ready to crawl out of my skin I was so itchy to do something productive, so I drove a mile down the road to fill my tank with gas and then drove back home and checked the mail.

On Thursday morning I woke up feeling much the same as I had the day before, minus the degree of headache. I HAD to go to work so I just loaded my purse up with Osillococinum, herbal tea bags and Dayquil and was on my way.

It was a day of hazzy, buzzy work bliss.

I got a lot done, but I'm not sure how accurate or awesome any of it was. Dayquil has a way of making me a little insane. By 3pm I was in full crash mode, so I left work and went home to take a nap and eat dinner before BF and I headed out to a show.

I was bundled up on the couch like a flu-burrito when BF came over, watching crappy television and had just taken a second dose of 'dayglow' (as I will now refer to it) to pick me up for the late night entertainment we were about to experience. We sat around for a bit until I realized that I looked like heck and needed to clean up if I was going to be out of the house in public. In a mad-dash I threw on some color, grabbed a cute coat and high heels and was out the door.

The car ride was pretty fun, and I thought it was me getting a second wind and being out of the confines of my sick-house until BF said, "You are high on Dayquil".

You know what? He was right.

I was very high on the Dayglow. Everything was sparkly and magical and hilarious and I loved every minute of it, until the Dayglow started wearing off. Luckily I was in Dayglow heaven until after the end of the evening's entertainment.

We went to a reading of "Road House: The Play" at the Gerding Theater because our lovely friend Meagan is a part of it (and we support our awesome friends, darn it!). It was pretty hilarious so I think we'll be seeing the full production this March.

I woke up this morning and I still feel kinda cruddy, but sort of hung over from all the chemical immunity-aid. I am NOT taking Dayglow today. I'd like to actually think and operate on a semi-normal level.

No comments: