Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A BIG Sigh of Relief

Wow it feels like my days are super full right now!  I've decided that I need to take a little break from things so I took a few days off so I have a nice long Memorial Day weekend to enjoy next week.  I cannot wait!  I am forbidding myself from doing wedding stuff that weekend because that is partially what I need a break from!


BF and I got Round 2 of the invitations sent out.  Now we are only missing addresses from a few random people that have moved recently so we should have them all out before the weekend starts.  Also, I ordered some acorns, etc as vase fillers to play with and see what I like the best for center pieces that finally came yesterday so this weekend I was hoping to play around with those and figure out what I'm going to want to really do.


Besides Wedding To Do's and yard work, I've been trying to run more consistently since it was something that sort of fell to the wayside this past winter.  I had been having trouble running outside a lot because my allergies were getting so severe. Even if I would take Benadryl before going out I would only last 5 or 10 minutes before my eyes were watering so much it looked like I was crying or sneezing about a million times in row; not too fun when you are trying to run.  About 2 weeks ago I went for an evening run and when I came home my chest felt really heavy and I could not stop coughing.  I felt pretty awful and had to just sit on the floor because I was too out of breath from coughing to do anything.  It took about an hour for me to feel ok enough to get up and shower and eat a snack!  


The next time I ran I made sure to take allergy meds an hour before I went out so that I knew they would have time to work.  Again, I came home coughing and exhausted and this time the rest of the night I felt super wheezy and even woke up the next morning feeling out of it with a heavy chest.  I called and made a doctors appointment since I was a little worried (with the wheezing and coughing) that it was more than allergies and wanted to get it checked out. My doc listened to my lungs and took my pulse ox and everything seemed fine, but she had the suspicion that I had allergy induced asthma that was being exacerbated by exercise so she prescribed an inhaler and then also gave me some other allergy meds to take.  I started taking my new meds (some steroid nasal inhaler, a sinus medication and then some really awesome allergy eye drops!) the next day and waited a few days before giving running a try.  When I did run, I was sure to take my inhaler BEFORE  I went out.  I had been warned that it may make me feel a bit jittery at first, but I was not ready for it when it actually happened!


 I took 2 puffs before my run as I was told to do and then off I went!  A few minutes in I started feeling... jumpy... I guess is the best way to describe it.  My lungs felt great and I wasn't wheezy or coughing or anything, but my heart was starting to race more than it normally does during exercise and my limbs felt not-quite-numb-or-tingly-but-not-quite-right, it was totally strange.  I was about 1.5 miles out when I decided I needed to pause my run and sit for minute until my heart rate came down a few ticks.  It was a totally strange experience, but my heart rate did slow back down after a few minutes and I didn't feel so weird.  I also didn't wheeze or cough or anything when I got home.  


I'm hoping that this inhaler takes care of the problem and that I can get back into running like normal again.  I'm also very grateful that my symptoms weren't signs of something more serious!

No comments: