Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mental Unloading

 I haven't posted for a while so I'm  in need of an unloading of sorts to get my mind back in order and to get everyone caught up!


As I last told you BF and I had picked out our wedding cake flavors and ordered the cake.  A few days after that we met with a potential photographer who we absolutely loved and booked him as well.  Because it's still a little icky out we decided to postpone our engagement photos until mid-late June when we will be more likely to have a few nice days (fingers crossed!).  I went to the craft store a couple of days ago and got a few center pieces elements so I can try some ideas out and see what we actually want to do.  I've been putting Pinterest to great use for floral arrangements and center piece ideas so I'm confident we'll be able to pull together some great arrangements!


I've also made an appointment for later this week to meet with a hairstylist and start building a wedding day look.  We meet tomorrow and I have TONS of pictures and ideas for her and I cannot wait to see what we can do.  Nothing too complicated, just a nice polished look for the day.  I'm starting to address the invitations this week which is surreal and I am realizing that this wedding is actually happening.  There are a ton of little details that I'm still working on this week like finding a pillow or box for the ring bearer to take down the aisle and finding myself some shoes.  I think I'm leaning towards some cute flats so I can dance the night away and not have sore feet or a twisted ankle at the end of the night.


BF and the boys are going suit shopping this weekend, and I'm tagging along of course, so I'm confident they will have that buttoned up as well.  BF and I need to go wedding band shopping to pick out our bands, but I feel like that is not a pressing detail at this point.  I also still need to find a florist, and I've found a few online that I think I might like so I just need to set up time to go visit them and see what they offer and if one will fit better than the others. 


Moving past wedding stuff, I've had a REVELATION of epic proportions because of Zooey Deschanel regarding my iPhone.  I've had my iPhone 4S for a few months and I've never used Siri.  It wasn't until I saw the iPhone commercial with Ms. Deschanel using Siri for a multitude of things that I said to myself, "What am I doing NOT using this?  I am insane!" and have proceeded to use her to create appointments and reminders and to check the weather and to find stores close to me, etc, etc ad naseum.  And it was all because Zooey is the most disgustingly adorable human being on the planet (I mean that in the most complimentary way possible).  Also, the other day I caught another iPhone commercial with Samuel L. Jackson that made me laugh so hard and now I'm quoting it even though it doesn't make much sense to quote... only BF gets it because he was there when I laughed at said commercial... this is why we are getting married.  Anyhow, Siri is AWESOME.  Also, she understands what I'm saying when I get excited and speak rapidly or mumble a  lot little bit.  I'm impressed.  And what reminders and I having Siri put on my To Do list?  Mostly wedding stuff and yard work stuff.  


Which leads me to what we've been doing in our spare time that isn't wedding related:  yard demolition!  This past weekend BF's dad came over and helped us tear down all the crap that the previous owners piled and "built" in the back yard.  I use the term "built" very loosely because mostly things weren't built as much as half-stuck.  I pulled up every single bush that they planted up and it's no wonder most of them were dead because the root balls had not been undone when they were planted so most of the plants came right out of the ground easily without any digging in a perfect round container shape.  We left the one rose bush because I think it can be rehabbed.  We also tore up the "water feature" that was in the corner of the yard and now we have a gaping hold that we need to put dirt into.  BUT along those same lines the corner of our yard that was behind the water feature is a good foot and a half higher than the rest of the yard because I think that is where the previous owners dumped the dirt that they dug out of the hole for the water feature in the first place.  SMART.  Not, but my solution is that when we re-do the sod, etc in the yard in a couple of weeks that we also build a little retaining wall there so we don't have to move the tree to level the yard in that corner.  I think it will look kind of cute, plus that corner isn't really usable space anyway.


I have yet to pull up all of the bricks and paving stones from the yard because when I started to we realized that there were millions of ant colonies living under them so we had to spray for bugs FIRST to kill them and then we will probably pull the rest of them up this coming weekend.  The plan is to rent a truck on Saturday so we can haul all of the crud to the dump (I seriously  need to take pictures of some of the stuff in our yard because it's insane... or maybe I just have high standards).  I'm excited to be cleaning it all up and creating a nice space for us to enjoy this summer and fall.


So those are the goings on with us right now... next time I'll update you on all of the work events I'm currently working on as they deserve a post of their own!

No comments: