Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Car Updates

So I got a call back from the shop guys.


It's never good when the conversations starts like this:

Car Guy:  "Hey, we took a look at your car and ran some diagnostics to see what was going on."


Me:  "Great, did we find out what's up with the AC?"


Car Guy: "Yes, and we can fix it without a problem. We also found out why your check engine light is on."


Me: "Ok, great!  What needs to be done?"


Car Guy:  "So...  ... ... I'll start with what I think you should fix now and then list what can wait for a while in case you can't get it all done at once."


Me:  "Oh... ok..."



The very nice car guy then proceeded to list off 8 different things that I should have repaired/replaced on my car.  Awesome.  The total for all of it would have been $2600.  Yeah.  Like I have $2600 in my pocket waiting to be spent on something like this!

What I am going to get fixed will cost me about $1300 and those are:

1. A blown coil which means the coil, spark plugs and some of the wires need to be replaced.

2.  AC has a low charge so they will recharge and refill the refrigerant.

3.  Replacing all of the drive belts because they are all getting cracked and worn and may break soon.

4.  Transmission fluid- is currently black and should be red so they are changing that for me.


Here's what I'm waiting on until I can afford it:

1. Replacing the timing belt- not that it's broken now, but should be replaced.

2.  Water Pump- I don't remember what he told me about it, but something.

3.  Front differentials changed.

4.  Worn struts need to be replaced.



The blessings in this whole thing are:

1.  Last week I got a free month tri-met pass from work until the new yearly tri-met passes are for sale so I don't have to pay for public transportation while my car is in the shop.

2.  I don't HAVE to have all of the repairs done now because some can wait.

3.  I got my work bonus statement this week, so next week I'll actually have the cash to pay for the repairs instead of charging part of it.

4.  I have a job so I CAN actually pay for things.



Here's to better car luck in the future.  I'm currently lusting after a  brand new Subaru or a Mini Cooper. 

No comments: