Monday, August 30, 2010

How to Keep Your Hair from Smelling Like Vinegar- OR, Going No 'Poo

Ok, so I made the leap and am now shampoo and conditionerless and I survived.  It's only been a few days and already I've had to change some of my original plans.

Here's how I started.  I found a few recipes online for going " No 'Poo" (Simple Mom and One Green Generation have good recipes).  Here is what you will need before you start:

1.  Two Containers for your cleansing solutions. I found some squirt bottles like the one pictured at a kitchen and home good store for $1.

2.  Baking Soda

3.  Vinegar (organic)- most say to use Apple Cider Vinegar but you can also use white vinegar if you want. 

4.  Any sort of essential oil or extract you'd like


You may also want to have on hand the following:  2 cup glass measuring cup, funnel, tape, and sharpie marker for labeling.

Here are the Recipes I use:



Cleansing:

  • Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda into the squirt bottle.
  • Add 1.5 cups of water (more or less depending on your liking)
  • Shake mixture vigorously before use to keep the settled baking soda mixed up!

To Use:  Just shake the mixture up and apply a few squirts directly onto the scalp.  Work gently into your scalp and rinse as usual.

It will feel sort of gritty and doesn't lather like one is used to, but your hair will get clean and you don't really have to use a ton of this mixture to do it.

Some people like to use more of a baking soda/water paste so you can always add more baking soda if you like.




Sealing and Conditioning:

  • 1/4 cup of vinegar, pour into second squirt bottle.
  • 2 cups water, add 1st cup and shake up to mix in vinegar. reserve 2nd cup for a moment.
  • A few drops of essential oil (I use tangerine, lemon and a little lavender)
  • Add rest of water and shake.

To Use:  After cleansing and rinsing, squirt a little of the mixture on your hair, starting at the ends.  You don't really need to douse your scalp so I try to avoid putting a lot of this mixture at the top of my hair near the scalp.  Leave on for a minute or so and then rinse as usual.

This seals your hair shaft so that your hair is shiny and doesn't get all tangled up.  Some people like to use other herbs and spices instead of essential oils for this (I've seen cinnamon, vanilla extract, sweet basil, etc) it all just depends on what scents you like.  I like citrus scents because I feel like they smell clean.  BF commented on Saturday that my hair smelled like lemons.  It's a lot better than having your hair smell like vinegar, but some people say they don't really notice a vinegar smell. 



Extra Conditioning

In case your hair gets a little dry (like mine does) there are a few things you can do:

1. Jojoba oil- you can pretty much find this at any store that carries soaps, shampoo, lotion.  You can apply sparingly to your hair after you've cleansed it, starting at the ends and working your way up, just avoiding the scalp.  Put a damp hot towel or shower cap on your head covering your hair and put a heating pad on medium on your head to keep your hair warm. You can also do this in a sauna and it works about the same with the heat.  Leave on for 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes, then comb hair and towel the oil out.  There are companies that make "hot oil" repair serums that are very similar.

2.  Find a quality conditioner- Giovanni makes a good conditioning repair balm that you can use weekly.  I find their hair masks and balms at New Seasons, but I've seen them other places as well.  They use all natural ingredients.  There are other companies out there that make pretty good conditioners or leave in treatments without all of the unnatural, "bad" stuff, but some of them include animal products (like eggs or fats) so read the labels.  

3.  Wash your hair less frequently or use less baking soda in the cleansing mixture.



As a back up, I've ordered Dr. Bronners Citrus Conditioning Hair Rinse, but haven't used it yet.  Here are the ingredients:  Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Shikakai Powder, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lemon Oil, Organic Orange Oil.

So far I really like this method and will continue to use it.  I feel really good about not putting harsh chemicals in my hair and I'm very surprised at how healthly my hair feels using these methods instead of the standard shampoo and conditioner.



No comments: