Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Meet Rudy


This is our adorable new puppy, Rudy, who has completely stolen my heart and now I know why people have bratty children... because I'm pretty much willing to give that dog anything.  But I won't, mostly.

BF found Rudy online from a nice family down in Southern Oregon.  They had posted an add with the newspaper to find homes for their litter of  Mini American Eskimo/ Yorkshire Terrier/ Maltese mix.  As soon as he saw pictures, BF called me while I was out running errands to tell me about this cute pup. We called the family and they agreed to bring him up to us while they were on their way to deliver one of his siblings to another family.  

We spent our whole weekend trying to keep it a secret from our families and gathering all of the necessary puppy supplies.  Man, having a pet is expensive, but totally worth it.  

Yesterday I got to pick Rudy up and I took him to work so I could grab my laptop and work from home the rest of the day.   Before taking him home I stopped by BF's school so he could see him first.  The class went wild so we had the kids wash their hands and then take turns petting Rudy.  I took him home and he explored the house for a couple hours and then we took a nap on the couch together. 

Last night went pretty smoothly.  I expected that he would be up most of the night since we are crate- training him and he is not used to sleeping alone in a crate, but he calmed down after a few minutes and only woke us up around 2am to be let out to go potty.  He slept until 6 this morning so we got a mostly uninterupted night's sleep. 

You may be wondering why we named him Rudy.  His original name is Sparky, which suited him fine, but BF and I decided a while back that if we got a pet we would name him Rudy and when BF saw his picture he knew that this was our Rudy.  Why Rudy?  Mostly it came from a joke.  BF and I were discussing movies one day and he was trying to think of  the actor that played Samwise Gamgee in Lord of the Rings, who also happened to star in the move "Rudy".  While wracking his brain for the actor's name (Sean Astin) he blurted out, "Rudy!  You know, Rudy... Sean... Ganjes...?"  I laughed so hard at this and teased him about it for a while. 

He's doing pretty good with housetraining (even though it's only been a day) and he already tries to warn us when he needs to go outside by whining and trying to get our attention but not wanting to play.  It tooks us a minute last night to realize that he didn't want to play but that he was trying to get our attention for some reason... and then we figured out why!  So now we know what to look for.

Rudy is a very intelligent little dog and we've already noticed some of his funny traits.  He knows who plays what role in the house and will run behind my legs when we meet new people.  He doesn't like linoleum floors and will avoid the kitchen as much as possible which I think is because it's a little slippery for him. 

We are so excited to have him! 

No comments: