Thursday, January 13, 2011

Something to Try in 2011

Ok, a lot of people I know are jumping on this bandwagon, and I get it so I'm going to try it as well.

I'm talking about the Nothing New 2011 challenge found here.  These women are awesome and I'm so glad they are sharing their journey with this challenge.

Basically it's a challenge to not buy anything new (with a few exceptions) for the year.  The goals and benefits are added savings, less clutter in  your house, less waste, and creativity in finding where to borrow things or where to get used things or what you can use in place of things.  I like the general premise of it so I dedcided that it would be a fun challenge. 

This past year I've been trying to be more organized and get rid of the clutter and waste anyways.  Of course there are exceptions to the general rules... all found on the above mentioned (and linked) site.

The rules and purchasing filters are below:

Purchasing Filters:
1.  Can I borrow it instead?
2.  Can I buy it second-hand?
3.  Do I really need it?
4.  Where will it go?

Exceptions: 
1. First Aid and Safety
2.  Hygiene and Beauty Products
3.  Undergarments
4.  Groceries
5.  Business Expenses
6.  Experiences (travel, museums, theater, etc).

Now, I have to add some of my own exceptions because I had already agreed and planned for them before I decided to do this challenge. 

1.  New car- I've gotta get one and I promised myself my next vehicle would be brand new, not pre-owned.
2.  New Clothest that fit correctly.  I've got a couple things that I can wear, but during my Biggest Loser competition I'm hoping to lose 15-25 lbs and 2-3 dress sizes so that doesn't leave me with much to wear to work.  I am comitting to myself to only buy necessary clothing items ( a couple pairs of jeans, a couple nice shirts and sweaters) and then to stop there.  I can supplement everything else but the quality staples from second hand shops (we have some pretty cool ones here in Portland anyway). 

I'm still getting rid of things as I go through them at home, old stuff that I don't need anymore, things that are useless at this point in my life, etc.  I'm addicted to watching "Hoarders", that show about the people that fill their homes up with so much stuff it becomes dangerous and I'm amazed at how they even function!  I can't stand it when there are a couple papers left on the dining room table, let alone stacks of it in my home!  But it motivates me to keep things clean and organized.

Anyway, I'm hoping that by trying this challenge I'll save some extra money this year and can take BF and myself on a nice vacation somewhere neither of us has ever been... hopefully somewhere in Europe, or maybe somewhere tropical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the challenge! I look forward to following along and seeing how this goes for you. Be sure to post your fabulous thrift store finds and share any great tips. Good luck to you as well on your "Biggest Loser" challenge. It always feels good to put on smaller sizes, doesn't it?

Here's to nothing new!

*Jessica*