Monday, July 19, 2010

The Problem Is I Don't Think Ahead When I Sit Down and Post



Which is why my weekend happenings post is going to come in two parts: one today and one tomorrow with pictures.


So Friday morning BF left to go on a kayaking trip for a class he is taking. He was gone ALL WEEKEND which left me all by my lonesome... which really means I wasn't alone I just wasn't in the company of my favorite person. It's not bad, it's just that he and I find the same things funny and I will see things when he's not around and I think, "Oh man, BF would LOVE this..." and then I try to remember to tell him the funny thing/story but usually I forget. And when I do remember the story or thing I start laughing and then realize that BF isn't laughing because I never told him in the first place.


Anyway, so Friday night I worked out at the gym FOREVER because I had nothing better to do. It was quite nice. I did a whole hour of cardio after my regular weights so I went home and vegged on the couch and watched some movies.


Saturday was the epic Portland Highland Games in which I talked my parents into going to. They totally didn't want to go, but once we were there they had a pretty good time. I ate bangers for lunch and my mom absolutely hated it. I have no idea why. She generally likes most food, and bangers are just sausage, but she was sort of repulsed.


We wandered around looking at the booths full of funny/awesome/crazy stuff. We bought toffee and different kinds of shortbread cookies, matching Tree of Life shirts designed by this awesome celtic artist, family crest stuff (more on that later), and browsed the Scottish fashions.


I was at first happy to be taking pictures of what we were shopping for and looking at, but then my wandering eye was drawn to the folks at the event itself. I took some very awesome pictures, but I was trying to be super inconspicuous.


A few of the booths there sold family crest stuff and clan items such as kilt pins or crest brooches. One booth had family crest info sheets and I found one with BF's name (it's not Scottish in origin but is Irish). I had to buy it for him. I also have to show you his crest. There are a few variations to his family crest depending on the branch of the family, but this one is my favorite, and you'll see why.




Yeah, it's tiny, but I can't freakin' get a larger one for free online so there you have it.



Anyhow, so I bought the page with the crest and a little bit of background info and put it in a cool frame for him. I'm sort of a dork.



Saturday night I met up with some friends which was nice because we sat outside and ate brownies and other good food at the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse and then warmed ourselves by the fire.


Sunday I went and watched my parents play softball on their church softball league and my left arm is now about 7 shades darker than my right because of the angle of the sun. I look awesome. I left the game early because I was starving and feeling a bit gross. After I ate lunch I ran to the grocery store to pick some things up for my meals this week and then I went back home and did some cleaning and laundry.


BF texted me when he was on his way back from kayaking so I made his favorite Korean Spicy Chicken and brown rice for dinner. I made banana pudding for dessert and brought some to the boys' house as it is Mark's favorite.


BF and I just lazed around for a few hours before we had to get ready for bed. He has a class today and tomorrow as well, which also sounds like so much fun that I'm slightly jealous. As far as we know, this class is just a tour of Portland by various means (car, canoe, and walking) and the teacher just tells about cool places in Portland and a little history behind them.


Back to the kilted front, here are pictures of the kilts we ordered:




This is the tartan that BF picked since he doesn't belong to a registered clan with an official tartan. This one happens to be the Graham tartan. He likes darker colors and I tend to agree.




I picked the All Irish tartan because I have more Irish roots than Scottish, but also because I want to order a dress kilted skirt and sash of my actual family's tartan later and I don't want two of the same tartans. I'm lucky like that. Also, I want to point out in this picture that traditionally women don't wear kilt hose with flashes, but kilt fashions have changed with modern times and I guess it's ok to wear them if you want...
On that note, while at the PHG this weekend I saw quite a few women wearing sporrans (the usually leather or fur bags that hang around your waist when you wear a kilt). Traditionally women didn't wear them either, unless they were in a pipe or marching band that called for one as part of the uniform. Women can, however, us a sporran as a purse on the shoulder and I think that looks sort of cute.

So that was my weekend in a not so neat nutshell.
Pictures to come tomorrow.



No comments: