Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend Mayhem

And by mayhem I really mean the ordinary stuff BF and I do on weekends and holidays. This past weekend was awesome. I will explain.


Friday was a half day at work for mulitple reasons. Reason #1: The emails and interwebs broke and we had some viruses and worms and problems so no one could get any work done until our IT folks got things back to normal... which, despite their best efforts, didn't happen quick enough so we all left by 11am. Reason #2: I work for an awesome company who lets us participate in a thing called "summer hours" in which we can go home at lunch time on Fridays if we have our work done. Summer Hours run from Memorial Day weekend until Labor Day weekend.


Saturday BF and I slept in, went to the gym, and then went to BF's family reunion in BFE, Oregon, also known as Deschutes Recreational Area in Biggs, OR. It's a few miles past The Dalles, across the river from Maryhill Winery. The reunion was only BF's mom's side of the family and everyone is OLD or really young... BF's momma (AKA BFM) is the youngest of seven children (I think it's seven) by about 15 years and she's in her fifities so all of the aunts and uncles are grandparents and have been for a while. We ate lots of great food and walked along the Deschutes River and hung out with hilarious old people. I got lots of hugs from Uncle Bill, who I would have to say is my favorite. I love it when old people have no filter and just say whatever it is they are thinking. After the reunion we decided to head across the river to Washington to see this Stonehenge war memorial on the hill because what the heck else did we have to do? At this point I remembered that I had forgotten my camera, so BF and I made a new rule that I am to bring my camera everywhere we go. I broke that rule the very next day, but oh well. Anyhow, Stonehenge was sort of cool, but mostly hilarious. Not that we don't repect the war memorial, but I think it's funny that someone wanted to replicate an ancient monument but in it's original entirety hundreds of years later.


Sunday was America's birthday, and also my mom's birthday (no joke) so the day was filled with food, food and more food. My dad grilled ribs which were to die for and my mom wanted crab legs so we had quite the feast. We stopped by our friends' house for their annual 4th of July BBQ and said hi and then we went to our friends' Nelson and Michelle's aunt and uncle's house. They live in Lake O on the lake so we camped out on the back deck (which was huge and magnificent) and watched the fireworks. Again, I realized as soon as we got there that I failed to grab my camera as we ran out the door, but Michelle took pictures and so did our friend Kate so at least we have something.


Monday morning I made an awesome breakfast with BF's help. We made buttermilk pancakes filled with bacon and sausage with an over-easy fried egg on top. It was instant food coma, so BF and I lazed around on the couch, watched SNL Best Of skits, and read our 39 Clues books. We both took naps until about one and then got up and on with our day. And by that I really mean BF took another nap, I cleaned and organized, and then continued to nap and read my book. We also went to see the Last Airbender. It was ok, but I was expecting it to be more... epic. If that makes sense. Summer movies, you have disappointed me so far.


Ok, there is an exception to that last statement... and here's where I veer off course from my weekend stories.

On Tuesday night/Wednesday morning my sister and I went to see The Twilight Saga: Eclipse when it premiered at midnight. I didn't have high expectations for this movie since the first one was so freakin cheesey and the second one only marginally better. Eclipse, however, was really good. The acting was better and less soap-opera-y and the action scenes were more on par with a good action movie so I was happy. The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was that Rachel Lefevre who played Victoria in the first two movies had been replaced by Bryce Dallas Howard- who I don't mind in other movies, but in this one I felt like she didn't have the proper tone for the character. That's just my opinion. Mostly the best part of the night was people watching while we were in line.


Ok, so back on track. That was my holiday weekend, sans pictures because I can't follow my own rules. I feel like I just need to have my camera in my purse at all times from now on.

No comments: