Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What Up With That?

BF likes this SNL skit with Kenan Thompson in it where he plays this crazy soul singer talk show host who starts singing, "OOOOEEEEEE, what up with dat, what up with dat?". It's pretty funny, but BF get's so exicted about it his reaction makes the skit 100 times funnier.

Anyway, last week at work we had virus/worm issues and then this week at work my display settings on my large screen were all wonky and I have yet to get my screen view right again... despite my efforts. I just want to know, what is up with technology sometimes? Right when I have things to do it decides, "Nope, not going to work that way... and while we are disagreeing, I'm also going to just change some other things and not notify you so that you are crazy confused as to what has happened." Thanks, computer.

Also, apparently there's a Death Heat Wave on the East Coast. They are all, "It's going to be 105 degrees today!"

My answer to that is, "Hey, remember last year when it was like 105 degrees for over a week in Oregon and my life was falling apart and I got heat rash and allergy induced excema and couldn't eat anything?" Yeah, so take that, East Coast. I'm sure we're going to get it here in the West soon enough. It's supposed to be a million degrees today and tomorrow in the Northwest, give or take a degree, and by that I mean 95. It's not that bad, but our weather has been ping-ponging between 55 and rainy and then 80 and sunny since the end of March so I feel like the weather gods are suffering from bi-polar disorder.

On the same note, I want to remind everyone that when it gets super hot the rolling black-outs are soon to follow. I've put together some stay cool tips and reminders below:


1. Don't leave lights on whe you aren't using them- they generate heat, which you then have to use more energy to cool again. Side note- don't leave anything turned on that you aren't using... because you will contribute to the strain on the power grid and thusly, black outs.

2. Drink lots of water. If you stay hydrated you are less likely to suffer heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Bring water with you when you venture out.

3. If you are going outside in the heat, bring your own shade. That could be a hat, an umbrella, etc.

4. Close your blinds and curtains at home when cooling your house during the day. The sunlight streaming through the window can heat up the house quickly.

5. If you feel overheated, rest and cool your pulse points. Sometimes a nice damp, cool cloth on the neck is all you need.

6. Don't forget to eat. Sometimes when it's hot we lose our appetites. Try to snack on fresh fruits and veggies to help hydrate and to keep your body supplied with nutrients, and sometimes a salty snack like pretzels or peanuts to help us retain salts.

7. Wear lightweight fabrics like cotton or linen. Polyester and other synthetic fibers aren't that great at letting our skin breathe and can trap heat close to our bodies.

8. Wear deoderant. This isn't really helpful to you, but it's helpful to me. I don't want to smell you. This comment is specifically for the people I have to see on a more regular basis. I love you, but I don't love BO. Also, Lady-at-the-Gym, this is for you. You did a great job of clearing out the cardio area the other night and I only had five more minutes left on the bike.


I hope everyone stays cool. I'll be chillin in my AC'd home eating popcicles and using my personal handheld fan while I read my 39 Clues books.

No comments: